1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DBSSTEPHEN, Jan 18, 2015.

1. DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN Legend

Oct 13, 2009
    SALEM,MISSOU...
    I asked about replacing one of my sd receive they said they could only replace it with this HD receiver they said they don't give out SD receivers anymore

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Correct.

All SD boxes are being retired. And no new SD service is being installed.

3. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    so, is DirecTV going wait until all SD boxes break down before going all HD?

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If that's the case, get ready for a long wait. A D12 can last a long time.

1 person likes this.
  5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Natural attrition seems like a good move until it gets to a point where it gets manageable to replace the remaining boxes proactively

6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Directv has almost 20% customer turnover each year. That is, about 20% of their customers on Jan. 1 will no longer be with them on Dec. 31, and 20% of their customers on Dec. 31 were not customers on Jan. 1.

Since they only do HD installs now this natural attrition will be a lot more effective in getting the numbers to a manageable size versus waiting for SD receivers to break down. They will undoubtedly help push the process along at some point by placing notice of a drop dead date for certain packages or markets that everyone must have upgraded to HD equipment by that date or they'll lose access. Similar to what they did for the MPG receiver retirement. As for when they might do that, or when the SD receivers become doorstops, that's anyone's guess.

I noticed that LHN and Fusion are being added in HD only. If most new channels are added in HD only, that'll help push customers to requesting upgrades to get them.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I wonder how many are the same 20% as two years before. The 20% who swapped in 2012 swapped in 2014 ... the 20% who swapped in 2013 will swap in 2015. The rest who would never leave DirecTV *ever* either have upgraded or will need an incentive. 20% turnover per year is not the same as 100% turnover in five years.

8. caseyf5

caseyf5 Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Bethpage,...
    :scratch: Hello Everyone, I suspect that there is a certain point in which it becomes much more economical to replace the remainder of the SD boxes with HD boxes. The cost savings will be immense as the lack of support alone for those boxes whether in the hardware, firmware, transmission equipment, training as well as other puts the cost of mainlining the old or abandoning SD entirely and moving forward with HD as well as newer technologies suck as 4K and other new technologies being developed in the future. As the lyrics say in the song "The Gambler" "You've got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away, Know when to run:" :scratch:

9. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    We're just trying to guess when that point will be reached.

10. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I'm sure you're right, there are a lot of people who are switching providers every couple years to get the best deals. Given the pricing structures they have, you'd be stupid not to if you have a choice and don't particularly care which one you go with.

In this case it doesn't matter though, as it still helps with the attrition of SD equipment as a SD customer who drops Directv today will be an HD customer when he comes back.

11. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If I had to guess, I'd say mid to late 2017 is when they'll switch off SD. Depends on how quickly they start doing things to help push people off it, rather than relying on attrition. They can do subtle things like only adding new channels in HD going forward or only allowing subscribers to add certain packages on HD equipment, and eventually less subtle things like sending out notices to certain groups that they must upgrade by a certain date or their package or their locals will not be viewable on SD equipment.

They have their Q4 / year end investor call coming in a month, they often drop some sort of stats about subscriber mix. Hopefully one of the analysts will ask a question about that. If they have something to announce about a schedule to move off SD, that's the most likely place they'd do so.

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    The switch over should be pretty easy for a given customer, no? He will just connect the box- or have it connected most likely- and all of a sudden his newish TV has a much better picture! Or his old TV looks the same. (?) Maybe it has a slightly better picture, and many won't notice.

Does he get charged for HD in this scenario? IIRC, he doesn't.

13. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    What switchover are you talking about here? Replacing a single receiver or upgrading a SD only account to HD? That will require replacing the dish as well as the receivers. As for whether he gets charged, if they don't charge him for HD they'll probably start charging him for the first receiver, though to encourage HD upgrades they might give some discounts that offset the increases.

14. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    The one in question, where an SD receiver dies and has to be replaced. I would think that in the case of an un-requested "upgrade", they wouldn't increase the charges. I've been wrong once before in my life, though; this could be the second!

15. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Another possibility is that as an H24 will work just fine on a SD dish they could just do that. However that does defeat the purpose of upgrading dishes on a one by one basis as needed.

16. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Natural attrition only works if you're getting broad turnover (something DIRECTV hopes not to experience) or a high rate of SD equipment failure going forward (even less likely).

James Long's point about who is churning must not be ignored since a high percentage of those who are churning are on the "new customer" discount seeking program.

While HD replacing SD worked a certain amount of magic, I don't think you're going to see the same benefit going forward as these people have made it this far without upgrading.

17. Sgtsbabygirl1

Sgtsbabygirl1 New Member

Dec 15, 2014
    Huntsville...
    I dont think it will happen until DirecTV establishes a process for existing customers to opt in to the new customer pricing for HD.

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    ATTRITION: the action or process of gradually reducing the strength or effectiveness of someone or something through sustained attack or pressure:

Anything that helps reduce the quantity of SD receivers in the field without DIRECTV® proactively replacing the receivers would qualify as "natural attrition"

As customers keep buying these brand new 4K TVs and they call DIRECTV® to upgrade their ancient box for a brand new HD receiver, this helps the process tremendously. Then add the customers that churn, and to put the cherry on the cake, add the customers that came from the Dish Network over the FOX fiasco, just for good measure!!!!! And DIRECTV® is in a good position

19. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    As Confucius say: "Attrition: it happen".

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Slowly ... it does.