1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Input on purchasing a new TV ...

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by purtman, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Mar 8, 2013 #1 of 46
    purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    I'm considering purchasing a new TV. I looked at the Vizio 70-inch ldc (E701i-A3) and the Sharp quattron (847). I've just begun looking and am looking for input. I'm not looking for 3D. I really don't want it. But I love sports (particularly hockey) and watching some good movies. It will go into a basement home theater. Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences? Thanks in advance!

2. Mar 8, 2013 #2 of 46
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Too many factors to get into.

Are you just wanting opinions on those two sets? Is the Quattron also 70"?

Personally, I'm not a fan of Sharp or Vizio.

3. Mar 8, 2013 #3 of 46
    purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    Tony, those are two that I am considering. The Quattron is also 70. I'm trying to get some ideas on a good-70" set. Since you said you're not a fan of either brand, which ones do you think highly of? Also, is it just a personal taste with Vizio and Sharp or did you have a few thoughts on them? Thanks!

4. Mar 8, 2013 #4 of 46
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Look, I have a Vizio TV. They are a good value. But they don't just manage to come up with a TV that costs half the price without some compromises. My experience with Vizio is that that start up slower than premium price TVs and use lower-end color processors that can leave darker colors looking washed out and cause weird strobing effects with menus (like the DIRECTV guide) that have a lot of stuff that doesn't change with a very small area that does.

Also, I'm sorry, but I've been studying and living with color science for about 20 years and that fourth pixel in the Sharp TV doesn't do anything. Maybe if it were pure white it might help color fidelity in high-brightness areas, but even that is a big "if." Red, Green, and Blue will cover enough of the color gamut that you'll never feel like you're missing anyhing.

5. Mar 8, 2013 #5 of 46
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I have the Sharp 60" Aquos model that came out before the Quattron, also a Sharp 46" Aquos. Have had no issues with either, and both are so customizable from the menu, you can use a calibration DVD or Blu Ray and get almost a professional calibration yourself at home. I am not familiar with Vizio TV's, but I have their Co-Star internet (Roku type box) device, and it is a slow bug ridden mess...which doesnt lead me to believe their software people are very adept. Dont know about their TV software.

Given the same general price for both, I would choose the one with the picture quality you find the best, compare warranty lengths, and if/who could provide in-home warranty service, since you dont want to be shipping the set back to Asia for repairs.

For a set that big, you might check out Square Trade warrantys as well, as they provide some features such as in home service, and replacement cost coverage should the set not be able to be repaired, for about half the cost of most in store extended warrantys.

6. Mar 8, 2013 #6 of 46
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    OP, take a look at the Sony XBR-65HX950. It's pricey but has much better picture quality than the ones you mentioned. I have it's predecessor, the XBR-65HX929.

7. Mar 8, 2013 #7 of 46
    spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Stuart summed up my thoughts on Vizio pretty well, and as for Sharp, I just think they're too busy searching for an identity, like adding another color to their sets, for example. Instead of building something better, they seem to want to build something different.

As for TV's, I'm actually a big fan of RPTV's (Mitsubishi) in the larger sizes. You mentiond it was for a Home Theater, so have you considered projection or one of the larger sized Mit's (82", 92")?

8. Mar 8, 2013 #8 of 46
    purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    I did think of projection, but I didn't like the color. Also, I've read that Mitsubishi has a "white-dot" problem.

9. Mar 8, 2013 #9 of 46
    lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    I also have a Visio an older Sharp, and a kids room Sharp TV /DVD player combo. I would say Stuarts observations about the cheaper sets being that way due to quality cutting is very true.

The Vizio has too strong of backlighting that is barely controllable. It's not a "bad" set per se but it just doesn't look "normal" when compared to my Sonys, Samsungs, or even the Sharps. Without those as reference it looks pretty good but I would expect a shorter lifespan will be normal.

Sharps seem pretty good though in some ranges such as wood tones and textures it falls short of the Sony. Its price though is enticing for sure and it's picture quality looks OK. I've heard people having breaking issues moving those huge wafer thin screens though.

Quite simply it is really up to your preference. Which set makes you want to part with your money for its quailty or is this the emotional high of getting a 70 inch set for your sports viewing?

You might find a Sony or Sammy in 60 inches has the real quality you seek. I have an emotional burn for a70 inch set to replace my 60 inch Sony EX700 but reality is the Sharp doesn't draw me. Now when Sony gets to 70 inches at today's Sharp pricepoint I might just upgrade but till then that 60 inch unit I have is just fine.

Don "just my thoughts on your question" Bolton

10. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Didn't like the color of what? Front Projection? Every projector is different, but nowadays most have excellent color reproduction and if you really want a home theater (as opposed to a second living room), it's really the only way to go.

11. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    Yes. I didn't like the projection. Just didn't seem to have the vivid colors of LEDs.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Have you considered a Plasma? Especially for a basement, the color is great. Something like the Panny P65GT50 if you don't mind losing a few inches. Yes, it is 3D, but at least you're not paying for glasses you won't use.

13. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Thats fine, but you missed my point.

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The one thing to also keep in mind, the vividness of the sets at the store are not necessarily a good thing, which is what I think Spartanstew was referring to. They are set to vivid or torch mode, nice and bright, but not accurate. Looks nice in the showroom.

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Amazon still has last years non-3D Panasonic version for $1100 with Prime shipping. If I was to get another set today, I probably would go with Plasma. I an using a switcher, to one single HDMI port on my 60", so cannot calibrate each input. Im finding switching from source to source, the LCD is almost perfect with the BluRay it was calibrated with, but lacks black detail on satellite and cable sources. If I adjust for the satellite or cable, then the Blu-Ray is off a little bit. Given Plasma's better blacks, this probably would not be an issue with Plasma. Im the only one that notices tho, the rest of the household thinks all the sources look the same :)

16. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    Was your point more the asthetics of a real theater as opposed to having a large screen?

17. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    I have thought about plasma. It's definitely worth looking into.

18. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    My point was that there's hundreds of different projectors and another hundred different viewing scenarios.

To say you don't like the colors in projectors is like saying you don't like the taste of milk based on one experience as a child when your mother served you milk that was sour.

19. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I wanted a big set with around a 70" being the biggest my room would support. I ended up with a Mitsubishi RPT (WD-73742), which is a 73" with 3D. I don't use the 3D much at all as it doesn't float my boat for most programming and video.

But there is nothing wrong with the color, crispness or brightness of it and in a basement setting would be excellent IMO. And the prices for them are really cheap in comparison to 70" LCD/LED or Plasma. Paid $1200 for mine delivered and set up.

20. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I thought I had read where Mitsubishi was discontinuing manufacturing of their RPT's?