1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Insert your access card"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Shad, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 1, 2007 #1 of 14
    Shad

Shad Legend

May 29, 2007
    I upgraded to a HR20 this past Saturday. It has worked until today, when all of a sudden the screen went black and the message "insert your access card" popped up. When I went over to the unit, I pushed in the access card, programming came back on, but when I removed my thumb from the card, it went off again...... As long as someone is pushing in on the card, everything is fine. Its kind of like the old days and having to hold the rabbit ears in just the right spot. :lol:

D* is sending me a replacement unit next week. Has anyone heard of this defect? I assume the card reader is messed up?

2. Jun 1, 2007 #2 of 14
    gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    maybe u culd just tape it into place until u get ur new unit....

3. Jun 1, 2007 #3 of 14
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    or use Super Glue

4. Jun 1, 2007 #4 of 14
    Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    I've had that happen with the older Sony SAT A50 and B50 models. They used to heat up so much that it will actually warp the card. Being that the card is warped, it basically slides ever so much out ot the slot which will cause the inability for the card reader to get the information it needs. Thus the neg.

Replacement of the card should do the trick; however I'd see about getting the actual IRD replaced or this will probably happen again.

5. Jun 1, 2007 #5 of 14
    Shad

Shad Legend

May 29, 2007
    They are sending out a new IRD and a new card. I took a card out of an older R10 TiVo and that card was not read either unless it was pushed in and pressure maintained, only then would it say "you have inserted the wrong access card".

The warmest the DVR ever showed on the settings screen was 104, so I don't think heat should have been a problem.

6. Jun 1, 2007 #6 of 14
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Sometimes sliding the card in an out several times will clean the contacts of both the reader and the card, making a difference. Also wrapping a dollar bill over the leading edge of the card when you slide the card in and out a couple times will clean the contacts. (Then remove the dollar again.) :)

And if those don't work, you can use a bit of paper on the top of the card to hold it in place tightly.

BTW, for those who ask "why a dollar bill?" the bill is not paper, but a linen that helps clean the contacts.

Cheers,
    Tom

7. Jun 1, 2007 #7 of 14
    Shad

Shad Legend

May 29, 2007
    This card begins to work when you push it in very hard and hold it there. Once you let go, the picture goes off again. It is like the card is not staying far enough in to let the receiver read it. I think the contacts inside the receiver are not in the proper location.....

Hopefully the replacement will not be a dud.......

8. Jun 1, 2007 #8 of 14
    Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    My thinking is that when you press the card firmly in place you are flexing the card, making better contact. The contact spaces are pretty big, they aren't going to miss. But they or the card can be still covered by a bit of protective finish that didn't get removed in the final process. (And its happened before.)

Cheers,
    Tom

9. Jun 1, 2007 #9 of 14
    Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I had a Tivo where if you lightly bumped it, it would lose connection with the access card for a second. Sometimes I would have to pull it out and re-insert it a few times before it would work.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Hehe, you guys messing up elecrtical contacts ( at bottom) with mechanical sensor ( 'on' without a card, 'off' - with a card) located close to far edge. If OP can open a cover, then using flat scewdriver adjust those two contacts. If you can't make it works, just insert a piece of paper between - it will works OK.

11. Shad

Shad Legend

May 29, 2007
    well, I tried all of the above mentioned fixes to no avail. In fact I can't even get it to read the card at all now, even when holding it in the reader by hand. I took a card from another receiver and it would not pick it up as being a foreign card either....

all indications are it is a bad reader inside the receiver..... they are sending a receiver and said it would have a new card inside it. Can I assume that the IRD will be a new HR20 and not a refurbished one?

12. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Can't assume anything alas.

Cheers,
    Tom

13. rmartinj

rmartinj AllStar

Jan 28, 2007
    Same thing happened to me.
    You have a bad card thats all.

14. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    If the receiver can't read another card, likely not the card. Likely bad reader in the receiver.

Cheers,
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.