1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

inspiration coming to dish august 27th

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dlt, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlt

dlt Legend

Feb 21, 2007
  2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Warming up on channel 259 (right next to TBN).

I wish DISH would move 3ABN down to the 250/260 range. The 9710 number made sense when SkyAngel had the rest of the 9700's ... now it is an orphan. :(

3. clyde sauls

clyde sauls Legend

Nov 16, 2007
    now if they would add gospel music tv or network

4. Boston

Boston Cool Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Glad to hear that Dish is adding Inspiration. I have requested additional Christian programming since Sky Angel's departure from satellite. My hope was that they would at least add those channels that are available on Direct TV.

I am not able to get Sky Angel's IP package because my DSL connection is not fast enough and I need to connect two TVs anyhow. I had considered switching to Direct TV since they appear to have more Christian content and an excellent promotion.

Hopefully Dish will add some more channels.

5. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    I don't think Dish has ANY excuse at all not to expand their religious offerings. Think of the variety of programming out there available that even caters to specific genres or groups like gospel and young children. I would even be willing to bet that certain religious channels would probably be provided absolutely free to Dish if they wanted them.

6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH would prefer that the channels pay.

Most religious channels are "public interest" channels, non-commercial channels that pay for their carriage on DISH and/or DirecTV. What the channels pay may vary. Unfortunately it means that we're more likely to see channels with money to pay for distribution than any choice based on content variety.

That doesn't mean that DISH can't carry a non-commercial channel for free, or even pay a non-commercial channel to carry their signal. But those channels (non-commercial) are normally carried as "public interest" channels that pay ... even on DirecTV.

(DISH was handicapped with their deal with the Dominion, SkyAngel, that prevented them from adding religious channels ... which explains why DISH has a variety of other types of non-commercial channels instead of the religious channels carried by DirecTV. Now that SkyAngel has ended their satellite service we can see more religious channels added to DISH as "PI" slots open up or are created by capacity changes on the satellites.)

7. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
  8. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    They can add "religious" channels if they want, as long as they add LOGO as well.

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If Logo would become a non-commercial station and agree to pay for their space on the system they would have a better shot. :)

Logo probably would be carried if they were asking the right price and channel placement ... but so many programmers think that their channel is so so good that they should have the widest distribution and the highest payment by the distributor (DISH Network, in this case).

INSP is coming. That's the focus of this thread.

10. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    LOGO is a Viacom/MTV owned station and thus is clumped in with the MTV set of channels. The channel will come up for debate once the contract comes back up I believe near the end of this year beginning part of next.
    The 4th post in this thread brings up "Think of the variety of programming out there available that even caters to specific genres or groups" which opens up discussion of other channels beyond INSP, be they religious or others.

11. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    You know, I'll take any channel they can get us, I don't watch alot of religious programming but, I do enjoy having the option to have more of it. Bring it on.

12. dlt

dlt Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    I agree, the more channels the more choices, but enough of the shopping and infomercial channels!!!!! But I guess if dish gets $$$ for having them and it keeps my bill down, bring them on too.

13. Boston

Boston Cool Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Several responses talked about the channels paying for carriage. My understanding was that their desirability was that they were offered free where Dish and Direct TV had to pay for most other content providers. Also, in many cases they could be included in the requirement to carry channels of public interest.

When Sky Angel left satellite, I would liked Glorystar or some other group to come up with an alternative package. Barring that, I just want Dish to address their competitive shortcoming and add the Christian networks carried by Direct TV and cable like The Church Channel, The Word Network, etc.

14. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    Dish carries at least 6 "christian" channels as it is. The same number of channels as news channels, and EPSN channels. I think there are plenty of "christian" channels on Dish.

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are eight "religious" channels on DirecTV that DISH does not yet have (plus a few that both services have). Considering they have about 30 less SD channels overall than DISH there is a lot more "religion" in the mix on their service. :)

DISH could use more religious channels to catch up.

16. ImBack234

ImBack234 Godfather

Aug 26, 2008
    "inspiration coming to dish august 27th" God help us all!!!
    I say make it a pay channel then see how many people get....:eek2:

17. aloishus27

aloishus27 Legend

Aug 8, 2006
    Not sure if adding LOGO makes good business sense for Dish. as of 2007 only 2.9% of Americans identify as LGB, while 70% identify as Christian.

18. westsiderick

westsiderick New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Where the heck do you get 2.9% and then think 70% plus 2.9% equals 100%??

LMAO

19. ImBack234

ImBack234 Godfather

Aug 26, 2008
    LMAO TOO

20. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The two categories are not mutually exclusive. I'm sure some of those identifying as LGB also identify as Christian ... obviously many don't identify as either. It is just a case of reading the statistic.

Just like this isn't a competition between LOGO and INSP. Both channels could exist on the same system (as they will on DirecTV tomorrow). Neither channel could exist on the same system (as they do on DISH Network today).

BTW: This thread isn't about LOGO ... it is about INSP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.