Install Additional Dish on Same Property?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by skatingrocker17, May 5, 2016.

1. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    We have a pole barn that has some finished rooms in it that's a few hundred feet away from the house. How hard would it be to install an additional dish out there? We have a clear view of the sky from all directions.

I've noticed there are many different dishes on Solid Signal, we just have a normal package with Toledo, OH locals and don't have any foreign language channels. In the house, we have 3 H24s and 1 HR24. I realize that aligning the dish could be a lot of work, but is it doable? I'm also not sure which dish I should actually buy.

If I couldn't do it, I could probably just have someone from DirecTV come out and align the dish, but was trying to save myself some money.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You can do that as long as it is your residence and the same address.
    Check your system to see what you have now. Menu, Settings & Help, Settings, Info & Test, More Info. Press the Channel Down 1 time to see which Dish you have and post that info here. My systems says it is a Slimline-3S ( SWM ). Matching the one at the main house will make it easy to switch a receiver from the house to the barn without changing settings in the set up.

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    When I started with Directv in 2003, I bought a box at Best Buy which contained a receiver and a dish. lt was intended for self-install. In those days the receiver put out a tone which could be used to peak the signal on 101. There aren't tones anymore and a meter is the best way to align a dish, but with a portable TV at the dish location or someone to watch the signal strength and report (those cheap FRS walkie-talkies are great for this), you can easily align things but it takes a fair amount of patience. Peak on 101 first and then tweak to get a balance between 99 and 103.

4. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    As the others have said it should fall in line with acceptable use under DirecTV's terms of service if the pole barn is considered the same address (and it isn't a business or rental property).

As far as installing the dish yourself, it usually can be done as long as you have a basic knowledge of tools, compass, level, etc. There are some videos you can find at Solid Signal and probably on Youtube that would help with the install. I would recommend getting the same dish/LNB as you have on your main house to make setting up the receivers easier if you may need to take them back and forth between buildings. If you give us some pictures of your dish and the wires coming from it and a description of how your receivers are hooked up we can probably figure out how you are set up currently.

You can buy the parts you need on Solid Signal if you want new stuff, otherwise eBay and Amazon can usually save you quite a bit. The best deal of all would probably be on Craigslist if you have one for your area. I've been able to get dishes/LNBs for free on there from people that have cancelled their service and just want the dish gone.

5. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    Looks like we've got a Slimline-3S (SWM) too.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  7. energyx

energyx Cool Member

Aug 8, 2011
    I just use the house cordless phones with intercom, or cell phones...