1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install did not happen no LOS now I have a question.....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Bigwayne13, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Bigwayne13

Bigwayne13 Cool Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Ok after getting rescheduled about 4 times due to the equipment shortage the installer finally came out on Saturday. I live in an apartment home (two story townhouse) and my private area is the back patio, and that is where the dish has to be mounted. So the installer gets there and there is no line of sight. I noticed one of my neighbors down the street has installed his dish on a tall pole (probably 15-18 feet in the air) to get the signal over the roof. The question is, if I install the pole myself will the installer install the dish on the pole for me and then do my whole house installation or am I stuck doing the whole install myself???

** Just a note the installer said they only have HR20's in stock***

2. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Personally being an installer, I would NOT install a dish on a customer supplied pole mount 15-18' up in the air under any circumstance. There are jus to many chances for problems leading to potential chargebacks. There is no way to have a steady support for signal reception like that since the pole would sway without supporting braces or guy wires which you couldn't do with any real result in a "patio" installation such as yours.

You may be able to hire an independant installer in your own area at your own expense to do this; but most likely you'll have to do it yourself if your truely wanting it done.

They only have HR20's in stock? Wow, if I were the wherehouse manager, I'd definately have to have a sit down "pow wow" discussion with my directv rep about only having refurbished outdated units (since they aren't capable of 3D) for new installations. UNEXCEPTABLE.......

3. kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx Legend

Dec 26, 2009
    I have to agree with yoda, but to solve one issue is to call a DEALER, atleast here in Kansas City, ALL of us dealers get NEW equipment EVERY TIME. Since we have to buy the equipment and sit on that money for 2-3 weeks we get new equipment. that would solve that issue... A Dealer is a lot more apt to bend the rules so to speak, than a technician.. Call a dealer and have him come out and give it a look, he will be 100% honest with you..

4. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010

Confirmed. Charlotte NC only got HR-20-100's in the last shipment.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Warehouse managers are considered lowly pee-ons by DirecTV. And since there is a huge shortage of HD equipment nationwide, DirecTV would basically say "you're lucky to have received ANY HD equipment, so shut up and go away."

Warehouses all over the country are only getting a fraction of the HD and MRV equipment they order, and if refurb HR20s are all that's available, that's what goes out.

6. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Except for the people that would have gotten an HR24, I say they should count themselves lucky to get an HR20 :)

7. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    I didn't say it's not happening; however it's not right.....

With 3D TVs becomming more and more previlant, coupled with the fact that DirecTV offers 3D programming they should pull any HR20's out of circulatrion for redistribution expecially for new installations.

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I understand your point, but TONS of people want TV *now* and have zero interest in 3D. DirecTV is simply doing their best to serve those folks.

The problem is really MRV. It has been hugely popular, and has prompted a ton of upgrades and receiver swaps which have depleted the stocks of HD equipment that were already lower than normal due to having some of the manufacturers off-line to switch their productions lines over to x24-series equipment. Then there was the "Free HD for Life" offer.

Dish has also been blitzed with HD orders. This weekend, in my area, almost 80% of new installations called for a 722, and a huge number of upgrades and Dish Movers also called for 722s. That's insanely high. But it also tells you that SDTV is exiting the scene a lot faster than many people thought, and that the sat companies' strategy of letting customers upgrade themselves off of the old SD-only equipment was the right move.

9. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Correct 100%.

10. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    We are heading towards MPEG4 only a lot faster than we originally thought, sounds like. I know there are still millions of D10s and stuff out there and of course MDUs, but this sure is a big step IMO.

11. Bigwayne13

Bigwayne13 Cool Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Ok thanks for the help guys. So Im sure this is a dumb question, if I do self install where do I get the equipment from? Does Dtv mail it to me?

12. HiDefGator

HiDefGator Legend

Nov 19, 2005
  13. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    DirecTV doesn't allow self-installs, meaning you can't call DirecTV and get them to ship you equipment, nor will an installer be able to just drop it off for you. If you want to self-install, you'd have to work with a retailer, either local or online.

14. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Like Solid Signal. We learned, today, they do self installs. Pretty cool.

15. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Probably all the -100s that got sent back as "bad" due to the piss poor "training" guys got on setting them up for MRV. :nono2:

16. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    You can be sure that this didn't go unnoticed regarding MRV in general. :read:

17. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Probably!

Heads up though. Charlotte market got HR-24's in this morning! Had a guy thats been waiting to replace his HR-21 with a 21 or better. (All we had were 20's and your not supposed to downgrade) He got lucky and got a new HR-24 and crazy enough his HDDVR was customer owned!

18. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Actually the HR20 is an upgrade from a 21!

19. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Don't know about a refurbished -100

20. Bigwayne13

Bigwayne13 Cool Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Got my dish installed today through a local installer, everything went great!! I have an HR24-500 an H24-700 and a standard receiver with whole house dvr and high 90's on all transponders. Life is good. Directvs HD picture is soooo much better than
    Time Warners.