1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install horrors in AZ.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mugz, Aug 19, 2010.

1. mugz

mugz Cool Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Like "Cougar Cruiser" and many others, I bot an HDTV from Costco in July when the rebate was a total of $250 in Cash Cards. (not insignificant). Had install scheduled for 8/12. Installer showed up to inform me he had no receivers so we rescheduled for 8/19. No calls, so on 8/19 I go and pull all of my cables and former Dish equipment so I would be ready for the installer when came (as DIRECTV advises). 2 hours into the appointment window I get a call from Ironwood Communications in Phoenix saying they have no equipment. Receivers, antennas, lnbs etc, etc. and they want to reschedule for the following week. Well, unfortunately, the Costco offer expires Saturday 8/21, so I tell them to forget it. This is the good part. There is a DIRECTV Dealer and Installer here in my town. I talk to him and he has all the equipment I need and could install it today, however, he is not an "authorized installer" for this particular offer. So I get on the phone to DIRECTV thinking this will work out ok. Well, after 4 hours, 10 different transfers and 12 people (kept a record of all) later, I am told there is nothing they can do. Install cannot be reassigned to my guy with the time and equipment. Now I would not have spent $1000 on a third tv from Costco, if I knew they would renege on the offer. They made this offer and cannot deliver before the offer expires, I am out $250 and wife is pissed because we now have no TV. Besides asking them to reassign the install, I also suggested they credit me the $250 to my account since they cannot perform and I will call my guy to install it. NOPE, cannot do that. Isn't Customer Service the name of the game? One more day left so I haven't given up yet. Any suggestions? I am that close to returning the TV and asking Dish back to reinstall me. Stay tuned.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Unfortunately, extremely high demand due to MRV and the "Free HD for Life" offer has depleted DirecTV's stock of HD equipment, and whatever comes in is on a percentage allocation based on past consumption in the area.

For example: let's say Phoenix normally uses 1000 HD-DVRs a week. DirecTV takes the average number from all areas, divides by the number of HD-DVRs that came in, and spits out a number. Let's say 7%. So, that week, Phoenix will get 70 HD-DVRs to fulfill a demand of 1000. That means 930 installs will get pushed back to next week. Maybe that week there are enough HD-DVRs for a 36% allocation, so Phoenix will get 360 HD-DVRs to fulfill a demand of 1930 jobs (the 930 from last week rolled over). And so on.

Yes, DirecTV has activated all of their manufacturers to produce higher volumes of this equipment, but increasing demand by factors of 2-3 isn't something that happens overnight, and several of the factories were down for conversion from previous models to the H24/HR24 models, so things are behind.

I know that doesn't help you, but DirecTV can't produce receivers out of thin air, and demand is high everywhere.

3. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Are they still making any of the HR2x other than 24s?

4. TMarshall

TMarshall Cool Member

Dec 21, 2006
    I have been reading all the horror install stories on here and as someone who deals with selling product for a living it amazes me that DirecTV keeps scheduling installs a week out with the full realization that their equipment backlog is 2-4 weeks out. Not only will they lose the business of this poster, but I am sure he will tell a lot of other people how bad the experience was. Now instead of a disappointed customer that maybe just didn't purchase the service, they have a mad customer who is posting and talking about how terrible the experience was.

5. CougarCruiser

CougarCruiser Cool Member

Aug 13, 2010
    As the poster of the new install from Seattle... I hope they get their stuff together.

Good luck in Az!

I got comcast to discount my account again - so I'm less stressed about running away.
    Call directv and ask for the 'on time guarantee' - it's a 50 dollar credit. Maybe you can at least get that?

6. mugz

mugz Cool Member

Aug 16, 2010
    5 stars for that reply. You are exactly right. One of the above replies pointed out the severe shortage, which I understand. What I fail to understand is why they cannot reassign the installation to the guy in my hometown who has all of the equipment to do the install? There are also 2 other options. 1. Extend the rebate offer or 2. let me schedule my home town guy and credit my account the amount of the rebate, $250. Today I am disappointed, by tomorrow if this remains unresolved I will be madder than hell and will tell all who will listen. Totally unacceptable.

7. SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    call and ask for the retention department
    I suspect its not really a question of DirecTV can do, but rather what specific CSRs are allowed to do.
    I'd be surprised if they don't extend the offer via a quasi-rain check, until equipment rolls in

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    No. All manufacturers have now switched (or are switching) to x24 production. But there is down-time during production change-overs, and that couldn't have happened at a worse time considering the spike in demand following the release of MRV.

The good news is that a couple of months from now, there should be a ton of x24 equipment available, though it will take a while to catch up with the backlog.

9. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Is there a spike in installs during this time before football season? (ST offers)

10. mugz

mugz Cool Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Believe me, I have been touching all departments and have yet to talk to same person twice, so of course you have to go through an introductory spiel and then outline the whole problem again. Twice reached someone in retention but no joy yet. Will try and pursue Costco today to see if any help. Time running out on those rebates.

11. joeaz

joeaz New Member

Aug 20, 2010
    I'm on the same boat. I live just outside of Phoenix and so far this week I scheduled two install that was a "no show". The first one was last Sat and the recent one was last Tues. Both times I called less than 24 hrs. of the appointment to confirm the install and both times nobody showed, not even a call of the cancellation or to reschedule. I had to call Directv to be told that the install was cancelled due to lack of equipment.
    This is poor customer service. I know I was out of country for a year but I like to think common courtesy is still precticed here in the US, right? I understand demand is high but a simple phone call would be nice instead of waisting my time off from work waiting at home for the installer. I surely don't mind scheduling the install a month out if that's what it takes to guarantee the install but don't give me the option of next day install when I call to find out what happened to my scheduled install that nobody showed up for. If they are overwhelmed with orders, why offer the next day install. I thought only the airline industry double book the customers. My experience with Directv so far tells me otherwise.
    Thanks for the forum to vent my frustrations!!!

12. boogie

boogie Cool Member

Jun 6, 2009
    I would suggest contacting Costco. Unlike DirecTV, Costco understands the importance of their customers and will probably take care of you.

13. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    How about calling Ironwood back and telling them to bring on the installation;
    you will accept the installation with SD equipment....whenever they get their inventory problem they can eat the cost of swapping the boxes for what you ordered?

As an installer I have dealt with Ironwood. They are famous for inventory problems and routing that leaves no time for installations. Make sure Directv is involved so they don't try to screw you out of the eventual HD upgrade.

Joe

14. mugz

mugz Cool Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Thanks for all the help. Things are looking better today after getting off the phone with a nice lady from the DIRECTV advocacy dept. They are going to cancel old order and credit my account the $250 I would lose on the Costco rebate. I am now going to my local guy and have him do the install. He has told me already he will match all other offers, so except for the high frustration level this may turn out ok.

15. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Illegitimi non carborundum!

+

There is a term in law known as "reliance." You have taken action based upon their promises.....they (Directv, Ironwood & Costco) get to "make you whole" and do what they promise.This is above the FREE installation.

Installers tend to miss the opportunity to get much payback but you, as a consumer paying with a CC, have great power.

Use it! Wear them out..they deserve what they get!

Once the Directv system is in you will like it. The bozos who gitt'er done will make you nuts!

Joe

16. dougk

dougk New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    I live in the Phoenix area and endured a no-show yesterday as well. The appointment was from 8am-noon. I called DirecTV 3 times in the afternoon, they emailed the installer, but at no time did anyone contact me or inform me that the appointment had been cancelled. This was for a MRV upgrade. Already have the dish and DVRs, although I am considering buying a HR24 from 6ave.com today.

BTW, DirecTV gave me a $50 credit and rescheduled the appointment for Sunday morning. Hopefully I won't be wasting my time again.

17. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Sunday morning?

Let the CSRs who promised you that try putting on the tools at dawn...driving to some HSP office...listening to a stupid morning meeting and driving to an address on Sunday morning. Ever said good by to an infant who has not yet seen you one day in the morning?

The "no call--no show" thing is a serious deal. Taking off time for work is a serious deal and often expensive. But what is happening is work orders are being forced into the system way beyond possible expectations. A competent installer can finish a simple installation by mid morning and begin a second one before noon, assuming the routing is not done by idiots without maps. Then a third installation can be worked for mid afternoon...however.......what do you do if you are told to do four new installations before noon...because there are another four for the PM hours?

Installers just quit......they were overbooked and back charged for missing...you. You still have to kiss ass for the FREE install deal. Why would they work hard to provide it?

Joe

18. satguy22

satguy22 Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    Installers lose and DTV wins. People always blame the installer not DTV because you are the only one they see. DTV still makes $50. off the installer that the customer may want to make up for a missed app. So they will keep giving you 5 or 6 jobs a day and the end of the day the winner is always DTV.

19. dougk

dougk New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    I received a call at 7am this morning from the installer. He was here at 7:45 and finished in about an hour. He mentioned that he was very busy today and needed to get an early start.

20. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Yeah, I know they do it.

The last cable company I worked for worked every Saturday and Sunday and had every Monday off + any second day you wanted IF you wanted it. When I was doing Directv fulfillment I scheduled myself into some Sundays because it was the only day the customer could be home.

In all those instances the checks were accurate and on time. I left the cable company when it became obvious the manager was making his mortgage payment from bogus back charges.

With Directv...or.... actually its' subcontractors, if a component fails within seven days (Service in7 days) they charge the tech for that failure. That list continues. So when they also schedule techs for all seven days..(rare but happens)...or require and expect Sunday work without extra money I just object.

Also, from a management point of view, it is a poor practice. Live to work or work to live?

Joe