1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install in coastal Florida

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by devildog820, Jan 20, 2009.

1. devildog820

devildog820 Cool Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Hi All,

I did some searching through the threads but I have not come across an exact answer to my question. So I'm going to go ahead and ask.

Here's my situation. I live in the Melbourne/Palm Bay area of Florida (east coast, near NASA). My house is ten feet from the neighbor's house. The house is concrete block stucco construction and no trees are higher than the houses yet. I have a clear view of the sky in all directions. My question is, roof install or wall mount? I've seen both throughout the neighborhood, but I've never been close enough to see cracks in stucco or a leaky roof. We get lots of wind, in fact in 2004 we got hit by four major hurricanes.

Thoughts?

Also, I'm really hoping for an HR-23, but I can't get anyone to commit on bringing one. Anyone have any successful stories of recourse after not getting a -23?

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I personally wouldn't put holes in stucco (particularly the synthetic kind, leads to moisture intrusion and rot).

My dish is mounted on my roof, as is my parents who live in Folsom, LA and all penetrations are well sealed - I did take our reflectors down for Gustav. For Katrina, we both had the old 3lnb dish and neither budged. Mine was mounted to the fascia board on the roof.

I think a roof mount is fine as long as they water seal any penetrations.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Devildog, welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome:

My friend and forum Supermod, Richard King, who lives in Vero, just down A1A from you will most certainly have answers to your questions.

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I will have to disagree with say-what as I do not like holes in my roof, especially in Florida. Wall mount in stucco, over concrete block, is much stronger when done right.

5. br408408

br408408 Legend

Jun 1, 2008
    Hi,

I live in Deltona and my house is also concrete block stucco construction. I have had a dish mounted to my wall with Tapcons for the last 10 years with 0 problems. It is solid as a rock. For 6 years, I had a 36" dish aimed at the 101 (I now have a slimline). It went through the 2004 storms with no problems (some trees in my front yard weren't so lucky). When I walk on my roof, I can feel it give under my feet (2X6 trusses, 24 inch on center, 5/8 plywood), so in my case, wall mount was the way to go.

6. devildog820

devildog820 Cool Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Good times. I have since heard from some people at work that their dishes were ripped out of the roofs (older construction) during the 2004 hurricanes.

Go Gators!

7. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    D* does not allow any dishes mounted in unsupported stucco. And with stucco being really fragile I'd never install one in it . No matter what.

8. br408408

br408408 Legend

Jun 1, 2008
    Many of the houses here in Florida (like the one I live in, and the OP's, from what he says in his post) are concrete block with just a thin layer of stucco spread directly over the block...no air space, no gap, no mesh, no insulation, etc. Just like texture on a textured ceiling...the texture is like the stucco, and the drywall would be the concrete block of course. Once the tapcon goes through about 3/16 of an inch of stucco, it goes directly into the concrete block. Nothing unsupported, solid as a rock.

9. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    My neighbor just today had a Slimline installed, in Ft Lauderdale, and the installer said that Mastec does not allow roof mounts in S Florida. He mounted it to the CBS wall, with lead anchors, did a beautiful job.

10. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Also not allowed per D*spec. No tapcons.

11. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, since I had to spend my day in jail today (installing a dish, not a resident) I just got home and noticed this. I would go with the stucco wall mount installation in nearly ALL cases (assuming, as is the case with most Florida houses, that the stucco is over concrete block). It makes for a good, firm installation and is more secure than a roof mount. My dishes, though, sit on my carport using "non penetrating roof mounts" (actually, they are attached to 24"x24" pavers). I've done lots of weird custom mounts on my carport over the years. I removed the dishes from the carport for the hurricanes of 2004 though and simply reinstalled them when I got back from hiding.

12. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I don't have a clue as to what you mean by "unsupported" stucco. Most construction here (in Florida where the original poster is located) is stucco over concrete block, which I assume is "supported" stucco. If Directv considers this "unsupported" stucco then 90% of their installations in Florida should be removed and redone immediately.

13. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    That's the typical Florida installation.

14. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    A lot of stucco is applied on a styrofoam board with metal mesh nailed to the studs.

15. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Not in Florida, it would blow away:)

16. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I have seen it done in Florida actually. It is very secure, just not for mounting things to. They also sometimes apply it to plywood sheets.

To the OP, another good option for Florida many times are the eves. I have seen some very good installs done there including some that went through the 2004 storms where the eye passed and they hit with full force (North Captiva/Captiva Islands).

17. br408408

br408408 Legend

Jun 1, 2008

Since I don't work for D*, I would have no way of knowing that. That being said, with 10 tapcons being used (2 each thru each mono pole) I think I could pull a car engine with it. Since I installed it myself, I don't have worry about passing inspection. And yes, it is properly grounded, and except for a couple of transponders, I am 90+ with many at 100

18. br408408

br408408 Legend

Jun 1, 2008

Thats the way they built the house next door to me.

19. pressureman0

pressureman0 AllStar

Jan 3, 2009
    no roof mounts in Broward or Dade but Palm Beach last option only with supviser called

20. ToddD

ToddD Legend

Jun 14, 2006
    As another member in Melbourne...welcome devildog820:)

I have been a DirecTv subscriber since 1993, most of that time here in Florida, I have always mounted my dish to the house (CBS as are most all homes here) with tapcons into the concrete block. Please note that this will not likely survive a real hurricane ...but not too many of the install methods will. It's simple and it works. If DTV's installers want to use the lead anchors then fine ...but the tapcons do work well....

Todd