Install issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - AM21 Discussion (private)' started by tfederov, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Feb 6, 2008 #1 of 40
    tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I know Herdfan had one too. I was thinking it might be a good idea to put them all in one thread. If not, please lock it! :)

Initial boot up locked up after step 1 of 2. I had to reboot it using a RBR. After the reboot it came up fine and everything worked.

2. Feb 6, 2008 #2 of 40
    WERA689

WERA689 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    Installation Report:
    Extremely simple hookup. Can't imagine it being any easier.
    Upon bootup, the unit(s) went directly to the antenna setup screen. All went smoothly as I input my DMA/zip code info. Unit then proceeded to download guide data. That went smoothly, too.
    THEN, I was taken back to the antenna setup screen and asked to input the zip code again. I pressed "select" and the unit went back to "acquiring guide data" again, and didn't begin the search. I waited 5 minutes, then did RBR, as I could not bring up the menu.
    After RBR, all is well, and after changing my favorites list, guide data and locals (including subchannels) are there!
    I'll schedule some recordings for tonight, and see how they go.

Neil

3. Feb 6, 2008 #3 of 40
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    So far the AM21 has not been able to find my local market. It searches for several minutes and then says it can't find it. I tried both my local zip code and the main zip code for downtown Charleston, but neither worked.

I know the data is available since I get it on all 3 HR20's. BTW: Charleston/Huntington WV DMA

Right now it seems hung "searching for local market" so I may have to RBR.

OK, on the fourth time though after the RBR, it found the market. Everything progressed well until it returned me to live TV. Then I went to get the Guide to see if my OTA channels were there and it did 2 things. It looked like the Guide page tried to come up as it put my screen up in the top corner, but that part went black with "Acquiring Guide Data" in white letters and the rest of the screen has the Please wait bar that is no longer rolling. Everything is locked, so another RBR is on its way.

OK, the last RBR seemed to fix it. I am getting good signal on all my OTA stations.

4. Feb 6, 2008 #4 of 40
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Fortunately I had no issues. It took a while to find my local market and also to download the guide information. All in all, it was about the same as setting up OTA on the HR20 and those attaching a AM21 for the initial installation of a HR21 shouldn't see any difference.

Performance seems to be pretty good. I am using it with a temporary indoor antenna, but the signal meters give almost as good a reading as my HR20-700 with the rooftop antenna.

5. Feb 6, 2008 #5 of 40
    houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    posted in it's here thread:
    max signal strength 77% (HR20-700) shows 100%
    popped up message to activate reciever after setup.. and message to setup remote.. just ignored them both and it's all working..

6. Feb 6, 2008 #6 of 40
    RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Super simple setup. Most of my co-workers should be able to install it. :p

Anyway a few minor issues/observations.

It did not find my market the first time through. It did find it on the second pass.

It also appears that the signal meters max out at %77. 77 must be the new 100. :grin:

I've also noticed banner lag as well. Just a split second before the banner dissappears the channel number changes. Although this could just be due to the processing of all the new OTA guide info.

7. Feb 6, 2008 #7 of 40
    VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Although I could see power on the backside of the HR21, the blue lights on the front of the HR21 took quite a long time to come on (a long boot sequence?).

In downloading guide info, the unit stopped for some time at 45% AND 48%. However, data eventually loaded successfully.

The entire install went exactly as described in the manual. I did have a little hiccup when I didn't press the USB connector in all the way. I found that at the beginning of the installation.

8. Feb 6, 2008 #8 of 40
    RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    One other little nit to pick for now.

The power led on the AM is just a tad brighter than on the HR.

9. Feb 6, 2008 #9 of 40
    Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    First time I started up, The initial setup screen did not pop up and the Menu did not display Sat & Ant. I did an RBR and that did not help. I then powered down by pulling the plug on the AM21 and rechecked all cables - OTA Antenna, USB, and power from AM21 to HR21.

After that, I plugged the power back in to the AM21 and the initial setup dialog came up after the HR21 reboot as the User's Guide indicated. I selected later so I could see the menu setup sequence. Everything is working fine now. The channel selection and setup process appears to be identical to that on the HR20.

I too am only showing a maximum of 77% for signal strength on channels which show 100% on the HR20.

10. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    I am in the setup and at the enter zip code for secondary market. I put in 62901 for Carbondale, IL so I can get the stations south of me. "It says local market for the zip code you entered is Not Available." It is for my HR20.

What should I do to get this market area?

11. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    I got back to live tv. and the only channels showing up in my guide is international channels in the 400's and VOD. Nothing else show. I am resetting and see if that fixes it.

12. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Ok, after reset I got my regular channels back and working. But, no OTA. I am now redoing the antenna setup now. This time secondary market did show up. Everything seems to work now.

The only issue now is that the signal meter max out at 77%.

13. packfan909

packfan909 Icon

Oct 6, 2006
    Having similar issues. Last left it searching on primary local market. I did get the new version push. I will post updates in a little while. Mods, If there are environmental particulars that would be helpful, please let us know.

pf

14. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Don't leave the unit out in the rain or snow. :)

15. packfan909

packfan909 Icon

Oct 6, 2006
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to see that your humor is still there after such a downer of a Packer loss!!!

Good news, after about 5 minutes it found my local market. Either my reboots or the VP did the trick....or both....:rolleyes:

pf

16. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Thankfully I watched the game at the ESPN Zone at the "Happiest Place on Earth", Disneyland. Or I would have been really hatin' that game... :)

(Watching a two year old explore Disneyland is pretty darn marvelous!)

Tom

17. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    I remember one problem from when the HR20 first had the antenna setup activated. Even if your zip code would show up during the antenna setup, it often would not be recognized unless you re-entered the numbers. That may be a possible reason some people are having trouble getting their market recognized. Mine is running now. It may be working correctly because I wasn't able to start until after the new version was pushed. I'll check back after it completes.

18. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    OK, I powered down my HR21, connected the AM21, then restored power. I stepped out as the reboot was completing because I needed to retreive a splitter and some extra cable to connect the antenna. When I came back, everything was up and running - no antenna setup dialog, maybe I took too long. I went into setup and everything proceeded fine.

Only weird thing was after completing the antenna setup and returning to the option screen, the PIG was playing one of the FSN networks (a hockey game was on) and upon exit the info banner said I was tuned to CNN Headline News. I was able to to navigate to any other channel properly and without problem.

Also, 77 appears to be the new 100.

I also connected the AM21 using a spare power cord as part of my idiot tests.
    1) I unplugged the unit from the power supply, and
    2) I disconnected the USB cable

Both scenarios had the same result - a blue box appeared notifying me that "Tuner, Off-Air 1, has been removed" - it retains the last image for I don't know how long. I didn't change to get a tuner 2 error. Upon reconnecting each time, the signal was restored within 5 to 10 seconds and the message disappeared within 15 seconds.

I am attaching a photo of the message and have a larger version for the first look that I can provide.

[​IMG]

Oh, the AM21 pulls in everything great, including my local PBS which is using VHF 11. The AM21 tunes the VHF frequency better than my Sony Bravia and better than the HR20 (neither can pull this in with the antenna positioned anywhere in my bedroom)

Attached Files:

19. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    There are a couple of channels missing on my OTA. The missing channels are:

3-2 WSIIL secondary feed
    12-4 KFVS weather

Also, on channel 23-2 I get a great picture. But, no sound. 23-1 I get picture and sound. If I tune to 23-2 with my TV tuner I get picture and sound.

One other thing. About 80% of the time after coming from channel 23-2 and tune to 4-1 or 5-1 or any OTA channel I get no sound on that channel also. But, if I channel up to the Sat feed and back then there is sound.

20. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    My install went perfectly, but the text on the screen where the channel guide data is downloaded is unreadable. The lettering for "Acquiring Channel Guide Data" was appearing as dark letters with little white dots as an outline around the center dark characters. If the background picture is also black, the letters appear as ghost like letters oultlined in white dots. This is very unreadable.

bob