1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install new Hard Drive in HR24-500

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ron.clifford, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron.clifford

ron.clifford Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Jun 12, 2011
    My year old HR24 was acting wierdly, locking up, turning it self on in the middle of the night etc. Booting up and using the SELECT key got me into menu for checking the system and Hard Drive, which indicated that the Hard Drive was bad. Instructions elsewhere here tell of putting a new Hard Drive in an HR24-100.

HR24-500 is a little different. No screws on bottom, but the same two clips at back that need to be shimmed by 1/2 strip of plastic, like from a credit card. Then a small screw driver to lift the cover at one corner, and then the other opposite front corner, and then keep lifting till it all pops off.

Inside the Hard Drive is inside a black rectangular plastic case with a fan at the end. The case is easily removed if you have a T-8 screwdriver, remove the 4 T-8 screws and the case and drive lifts up and off. 4 Phillips head screws hold the drive inside the case, and 2 more Phillips head screws hold a spring on the side to hold the drive off the floor of the unit. Removing all those screws its trivial to remove that data cable and the power cable, and put in a new drive. I chose a GREEN POWER Western Digital 1 TB AV-GP SATA 3GB/s Intellipower 64 MB Cache AV Hard Drive WD10EURS about $63 + shipping at Amazon. I've read anecdotal stories of larger capacity drives slowing down the unit too much as it fills up with recordings.

I returned a piece of foam rubber that was on top of the drive in the case. The new drive was screwed in, and then the bracket was screwed into the chassis with its T-8 screws.

The Top just popped back onto the case, and upon powering up, the Unit found the new drive, formatted it, and my system is good as new, with now more than double the recording capacity. The new drive is running at about the same 120 degres F that the old 500 Gig ran it, but quieter. No Service call required, no replacement by a pot luck receiver, no buying a new unit for $200 and no new 2 year commitment.

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    But you now have the potential to be charged full retail price for the receiver in the event it gets considered "damaged".

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Why you not install 2 TB ?
    If it 1 TB or 1.5 or 2 TB it could slow down at certain %% regardless of the size.
    So, you're the owner of the HR24 ?

4. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Granted, you now have a 1TB drive. Alternatively you could have added a 1TB or larger ext drive.

Like Robert E says, it reads like its a leased receiver. So someday when its returned don't know what Directv will have to say about the internal drive change. Not for me to judge or decide.

FWIW, Directv does have a HR24 for HR24 exchange program. My 500 had similar issues (reading alot of 500 hard drive issues on dbstalk), and an HR24-200 showed up in its place, no charge, no commitment. Granted a refurb but in excellent condition and not a problem whatsover.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The bold statement above is wrong. Any large HDD you put internally or externally on any HR will bog the HR down when it reaches a certain amount of content stored. This varies from HR to HR, but it usually happens with 30% to 20% Available on the meter on the Playlist. P Smith is correct when he says you should have put in a 2TB drive and kept it a bit over half full. There is nothing "anecdotal" about this, I've done it enough times to say that it's true. I would call this "empirical data" rather than "anecdotal".

I'm assuming that you own the 24-500 and can tell you that you should have gently pulled the side panels out just a bit and inserted the same type of plastic strips you used on the back panel clips in between the four side panel clips and their holders and the whole thing would have just dropped out without taking the chance of damaging the cover.

Rich

6. ron.clifford

Jun 12, 2011
    My whole drive swap took 45 minutes the first time I did it, if it needs to be returned, the OEM drive gets swapped back in and it'll be far easier for me, knowing I need to have my T8 handy, etc.

And I hate this whole F.U.D. being sown by RobertE. Like the accounting mangers go to Tennessee and spend an hour with each returned unit? NOT.

Glad NR4P came out happy in the replacement refurb lottery. Not always the case. And maybe in a year or less he'll have a different opinion of a refurb.

You want to talk maybes and potentials: by the time the HR24 ever gets returned, maybe DirecTv will have HR42s with 10 Terabytes of Flash Memory and will just trash HR24s as they're received without examining them.

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You're right. The 200 seems to be a better, less finicky HR than the 500s, in my experience using both. The 500s don't seem to like external devices while the 200s have no problems with them that I have seen. My owned 500 with a 2B drive in it internally functions quite well and I had all kinds of problems using an external HDD on it.

Rich

8. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    FUD is not a good description considering the guy deals with this stuff daily for a living.

9. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Fear? Perhaps, but there are ramifications if caught.

Uncertainty? No, the only thing uncertain is whether or not you're caught.

Deception? Absolutely not. The unit is leased and if it is deemed damaged upon return, there could be a financial penalty.

The only thing Robert (and others) are really suggesting here is that if you're going to break the rules .. be aware that you're breaking the rules. While you may be aware, someone else reading what you have stated may not be aware. His comments are most certainly not FUD.

10. ron.clifford

Jun 12, 2011
    Anecdotal is when 6 or 12 folks in the forums says the HR24-200 is better than the HR24-500. Empirical is when EVERYONE says its better but theres not proof of it yet.

And F.U.D. is when someone says changing the Hard Drive in an HR-24 will cause you to be charged a full retail price for damage to the unit; with nary a single anecdotal story as evidence.

1 person likes this.
  11. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Looks to me like what was said that there is the "potential" to be charged if you "damage" the box while making the change. That is very different than what you are claiming as FUD in the quoted post. Since the user agreement states that they can charge you for damage, that "potential" is there. No FUD. You may not need the reminder/warning, but others reading this thread might.

12. ron.clifford

Jun 12, 2011
    You're a broken record. I already said I didn't break anything, and found replacing the drive easy to do and unless you have 5 thumbs, you're not likely to break anything. But of course any change is done at ones own risk.

And I did say, I could trivially replace my new drive with the original if the unit was ever to go back to DirecTv, so I am in no danger.

I tried to put some signal is a discussion, and all I get back is NOISE.

I quit.

13. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Welcome to the forum...I think.

14. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Hi... ooops, Bye! That was quick, and sorry you felt maligned or misunderstood or whatever.

15. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    hope it passes upcoming firmware to drive firmware checks and not self disable.

16. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Oh, shoot. I forgot about that until you mentioned it. That sucks :)

17. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    iirc new error codes are in low 20s and should see them soon.

18. admdata

admdata Legend

Apr 22, 2011
    not a question IF the OP get caught it is when, hence why Directv has a sticker on the back of the receiver that states "breaking this seal will void your customer agreement" (or something like that), anyhow it is only time. (If the equipment is leased (like mine is);)

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Anecdotal means "Based on casual observations or indications rather than rigorous or scientific analysis". Empirical means "Verifiable or provable by means of observation or experiment". I've filled up many HDDs of sizes ranging from 750GBs to 2TBs internally and externally used and have seen the same results. The size of the HDD doesn't matter, how it affects the HR when almost full is a constant.

To put it more simply, I've done the observations and experiments and I'm not telling "stories" that I can't verify.

We all realize you're frustrated, but we're just trying to help.

Rich

20. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...

Well put. It would seem it acts similar to a computers HDD. As the percentage of free space decreases, somewhere past—possibly well past— the 50% range,
    performance starts getting hit, and as you approach 0 free, the penalties increase.

Therefor it makes a big difference if the, say, 15% free is on a 160Gig drive or a 2TB drive. .... One can fit a bunch of movies in; the other not so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.