1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install nightmare from installer view

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by bstntech, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bstntech

bstntech Cool Member

Oct 1, 2007
    I am an installer and I red this forum every day, I love reading about what customers type in as install nightmares, Well I have and customer nightmare.
    Last week I had a HD upgrade scheduled, 1 H20 and a 5 LNB slimeline dish.
    When I got there, they had 2 lines run into the attic to a 3x4 multiswitch, no big deal with having 3 standard receivers, well when I told the customer that I would have to run a third line into the house from the groundblock, she was mad. Well she got over that and I continued, got the new dish mounted in the same location as the old one and she was upset that the dish was bigger, this after I showed her the dish and her husband said to go ahead.
    Moving on, I went to take the receiver inside and activate and she told me she told D* that she only wanted a H20-600, I only had H20-100s on my truck and she called D* and complained, well they convinced her to keep the 100. The rest of the activation went ok then when I was ready to leave I asked them if she wanted me to go ahead and take the old 3x4 multi switch since they could not use it for the HD install and she said since they could not use it go ahead and take it. Well a couple days later my office called me and told me the lady had called and said that I stole her switch, I returned the switch and the lady jumped my case saying I did not do what I was supposed to do, when I did all that was on the work order and even asked 3 times before I left if there was anything else I could help them with and she said no and her husband told me I did a great job.

Some of you all wonder why tech are in a mood or have an attitude problem, well most of us do all we can do to make you happy but treating us like that does not help. I try very hard not to take issues from job to job but sometimes when you are trying to give someone a great product and you feel good about what you did and then this happens.

Remember Techs are people too and most of us are trying very hard to give you a great product with a great Install experience but the customer's attitude also dictates how we do the job, Not saying that is right but as you all know it happens. I've only had one complaint against me in the last year so I feel good about that, but the 1 complaint hits harder then the hundreds of positive feedbacks I have heard.

I know I am rambling but I just had to get this off my chest because a week later it is still bothering me. Have a good day.

BTW long time reader first time poster

2. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    It sounds like you know what you are doing. My experience with installers runs about 50/50. I had one that didn't know there was a new satellite recently launched and that it should show in the diagnostic screen. He told me that the 99 sat was for international channels! He also didn't tighten the collar bolts on the AT9 and it spun in a moderate wind. Luckily, I was able to repoint the dish with no problem.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    bstntech,

:welcome_s

Just like installers, there are all types of customers. I have had two installers to my house at one time or another. First was great, DirecTV truck & uniform. Second one was okay, personal pickup & no uniform (contract obviously). Got along great with both of them.

Just like the "this dvr is a pos" posts, the "my installer was horrible" posts tend to be the trend because most people come to forums because of a problem or bad experience. I believe the large majority of installs are good ones, and you just don't hear about them in public forums.

Keep up the good work.

Carl

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I agree that you do have to put up with a lot of things that you should not have to and some of the post on here about installers is not right.

I did TV deliveries/Installs for 5+ years and I had to deal with the same type of customers all the time. They would buy a TV and think we had to rearrange their house for them. They would say the new I want against that wall since it is bigger so I need to you move everything in my living room around. I need the TV that was there moved to the bedroom and the one in the bedroom moved to the guest room and so on.

I even had a delivery one time that the customer handed me a shovel and expected me to shovel her walk way. It had snowed the night before and we got about 8 inches. We got to the house and here walk way was about 50 feet long and see was getting a 64” Pioneer Elite RPTV. I told her we would have to reschedule since the walk way was not clear so she said no you don’t here is a shovel. When we did not do it she started flipping out and called the store and flipped out some more.

Anyway some customer do want and think they deserve much more than they do and that is what causes a lot of the problems and that is why installers and delivery guys get such a bad name.

The only problem I have had with a DirecTV installer is that I had two of the try to charge me for a multi-switch that was free. When I got my original install done and when I upgraded to the 5 LNB dish and WB68 multi-switch I got the it’s not on the work order and I cannot give it to you because I will be charge $80 for it. Then 5 minutes later the installer says I tell you what give me $20 and you can have it. I gave him the $20 dollars because I was going to tip him anyway so I just took the $20 out of what I was going to tip him.

5. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Agreed customers can be a pain in the ass.

Agreed customers can be absolutely unreasonable.

By the same token, I ran my stereo store by this motto. I always thought the more standard version was only half the story.

The customer is always right even when they are dead wrong.

Although I wouldn't have shoveled the bitch's walkway, either. :nono2:

6. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    One other thing, bstntech. About your story, this has given me solace over bad customers for years:

Even their friends know they're a$$holes.

In this case, it's her husband. He has to live with her. :rolleyes:

7. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    bstn do you mind intrusive questions as to the lives of installers? I'm sure in addition to myself, some others may have burning questions. :)

(heck if i was you, i would just tell people you aren't allowed to take any equipment and they must throw it away lol). I dont know what they were trying to pull

8. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    My father told me long ago to always remember that, "they were put here for our amusement." Anyone dealing with the public will occasionally encounter these unhappy people. I just keep smiling at them. They find that particularly disarming.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    bstntech, we sometimes forget what it's like from the other side. It's a shame that installers have such a bad reputation, especially when there are honest and fair ones like you.

10. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    K4SMX, you bet I smile, especially the madder they get.

"Are you laughing at me? You need to take this seriously!" they often will say.

I don't say it but I'm thinking, hey, lady, I'm trying, but the fact that you are getting so upset over a multi-switch that you will never use and will end up throwing away, well, I find that particularly amusing.

The war in Iraq? People's homes burning down? That I take seriously. Your wigging out over a $200 piece of electronics? Now, that's a joke.

11. claymanhb

claymanhb Mentor

Mar 28, 2007
    I think everyone, installers and customers should stop complaining. Can't we all just get along? I've met 10 installers in my day and 2 of them knew what they were doing. I didn't complain in 3 of them put holes in my roof which I had to seal after they left. Good thing I know what I'm doing so at least I can't complain about myself.

12. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    No one should fail to complain about legitimate installation issues. If you're a customer and aren't sure whether or not you have a legitimate complaint, you'll find out quickly by posting your facts in this forum.

ggergm: You can just tell them that sure you take them seriously, you're just basically a really happy guy (implication: and nothing you can say or do is going to bring me down to your level.) That really lets the wind out of their sails.

13. HOPPER810

HOPPER810 Mentor

May 20, 2007
    hey bstntech ,over the years i've had several tech's have to come to the house for different reaosns to fix or upgrade my sat stuff.i've never had any problems with any of the tech's,i could tell some knew a WHOLE LOT more about their jobs than others.i allways have a ladder set up for them,go fetch things they need even let them use my tools if they need something.i know you have a tough job so i try to do what little i can to help but not get in the way. i'm a maint. man at a church camp,you can't belive what some people ask and how some act,it's crazy.but always remember gene wilders line in blazing saddles when talking to the " ni%$#&r sheriff. "remember your dealing with common people you know morons" so keep smileing and don't fall off any roofs.

14. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I don't have enough time and Chris doesn't have a big enough server for some of the whacked stuff I've run across. :(

15. bstntech

bstntech Cool Member

Oct 1, 2007
    [bstn do you mind intrusive questions as to the lives of installers? I'm sure in addition to myself, some others may have burning questions. :)

Ask anything you want I will answer the best I can.. But what everybody needs to remember is that Directv has rules as well as each HSP so what I say might vary in different parts of the country.

16. Ext 721

Ext 721 Icon

Feb 26, 2007
    I think I posted it before, but...

I once had a customer point at a 2-lnb dish on a 2nd tier roof...the original install had used a stepladder from the first roof to get to the 2nd, and damn, was that dangerous...of course it had been summer, and this was dead-of winter...snow on the main roof, a 6 foot long ice dam on the edge of the subroof and snow after that.

There isn't a man alive who wouldn't look at that and say "no ####ing way!"

well, after expalining the safety risk, and my lack of ice-spikes and other appropriate glacier-climbing gear he got red in the face, almost screaming "you're going to put it up there, I have to watch the superbowl in high def"

yes, for a slightly prettier superbowl, this man was willing to risk lives.

I told him I could put it on the edge of the front of the home, shooting over the home, and make it work...

His reply "NO! that is the only place it can go"...I could tell this wasn't a very friendly person. This could get ugly.

So I agreed, but said that I'd be back when the sun had time to melt the snow, so he'd better shovel it off first...after all, it should be perfectly safe to do so if a stepladder could be trusted on it.

dutifully, he ran to the garage, got a shovel, and actually began shoveling his roof!!!

I headed off to my next job, gave my supervisors a call and told them there was no way in hell I was going back, and neither was anyone else who valued the subtle joys of non-paralysis.

I secretly hope he watched the superbowl...in standard def....in a body cast.
    :D

17. Dwrecked

Dwrecked AllStar

Mar 1, 2007
    For every idiot installer there are 100 idiot customers.

18. Rakul

Rakul Slacker

Sep 3, 2007
    Unfortunately you are most likely correct, but given there are a lot more customers than installers I'd wager that the percentages are similar, after all both customers and installers are made up of the same pool of idiots :D

19. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    In addition to some of the seemingly legitimate complaints that you made against this customer I hope that you also gave D* a well deserved load of sh!t for ignoring this customer's stated receiver preference and not making note of it on your work order. There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for giving a customer the impression that their request was going to be complied with and then you showing up with the wrong receiver.

While I realize that with some of your customers there will be nothing that you can do right in their eyes, you installers and D* have to take responsibility for the failure to do certain things the right way and know that when the relationship between you and the customers starts off on the wrong foot because of your failure to fulfill a simple request, that that will probably contribute to a more hostile and demanding customer than if you had started things off correctly.

20. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    You're being sarcastic, right? Because otherwise, personally I find that to be a big load of **** had I ever heard it.
    Installers cant control what manufacturer code receivers they get... a D11-300 and a D11-500 are almost transparent... The difference is who built the box, but the box was built with the same parts, to the same specs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.