Install single H25 in RV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by sro54, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1 of 31
    sro54

sro54 Cool Member

Feb 7, 2012
    I have an DVR plus 4 H25s. I want to take one H25 in the RV. My question is what kind of LNB would I need to get HD. ? A regular 4 output or a swm with the power adapter? Just need 99/101/103. Thanks.:confused:

2. Feb 7, 2012 #2 of 31
    dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    The H25's ONLY work on SWM, so you're going to need either a SWiM LNB, or use an SWM8 switch connected to a 4out (legacy) LNB.

3. Feb 7, 2012 #3 of 31
    BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    H25 only works with SWM.

4. Feb 7, 2012 #4 of 31
    sro54

sro54 Cool Member

Feb 7, 2012
    So if I buy a SWM and use the power adapter it should work?

5. Feb 8, 2012 #5 of 31
    BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    Yes. I take our HR24 from the bedroom when we go on RV trips. For HD in an RV you need to have a slimline dish either on a tripod or one of those roof top dishes. I use the tripod.

Yes you need a power inserter to power the LNB. Then there is the issue of alignment. You can either get a meter (which is what I did) or use the meter on your receiver. When you use the receiver you usually have to have someone in the RV telling you when signal strength is getting better. With the meter you do it all outside the RV. It gets easier after the first few times.

6. Feb 8, 2012 #6 of 31
    sro54

sro54 Cool Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Thank you Bob. I have a Datastorm Internet dish that works on the hughesnet platform. I have a BOW ( Bird On A Wire ) that holds an LNB offset to the hughesnet LNB. It is totally automatic. So all I need to do is slide the SWM to where I get the best signal and it should work every time I redeploy the dish. I have standard def now and needed to know how to set it up. Thanks again for your help.

7. Feb 8, 2012 #7 of 31
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Not sure what you mean by this. You will specifically need the Slimline dish with an SWM LNB. There is an RV version of this, but I'm pretty sure you will not succeed by adding an SWM LNB to the hughesnet platform. Alignment for 99 and 103 is very particular, whereas 101 (for SD) can be really off a ways and still work.

8. Feb 8, 2012 #8 of 31
    sro54

sro54 Cool Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Hi Carl

A BOW is an arm that allows you to add an LNB off to one side of the Internet LNB. Hope I don't get in trouble for this. I am a Datastorm dealer and have set up older HD LNbs. ( none SWM ) But with the new HD boxes and SWM I was very unsure how to hook it up. The LNB I will use is the one head that sees 99/101 and 103. It is a way of using an existing dish without buying a dedicated SL5 auto dish system. Boy does it save a lot of money. So I will get internet and HDTV off the same dish. I hope I explained clearly. Thanks

9. Feb 8, 2012 #9 of 31
    PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    The LNB you want to try is called an SL3S SWM LNB. But I have my doubts if it will work as a BOW. I wouldn't be surprised if the signal strengths on 99 and 103 are way too low.

But hey, it won't cost much to try it. If you get it to work, let us know here.

(BTW, yes it does need a power inserter.)

Keith

10. sro54

sro54 Cool Member

Feb 7, 2012
    This is what I can use on my dish. They work well with the multi-switch and there is an upgrade to the SWM. All I was needing was what LNB and if I needed the power inserter.

LINK...ooops don't have 5 posts yet to give you a link to show you what I am doing.

Thanks

11. sro54

sro54 Cool Member

Feb 7, 2012
  12. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    Or you can get the whole satellite setup here for less. But, you would need a separate tripod which will cost you an extra $30 at a rally or Q.

13. sro54

sro54 Cool Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Been there done that. Never want to set a trypod up again. That said I do carry a stationary internet trypod unit with me for those pesky rv parks back east where it is hard to find a site in the open.:D

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I have my doubts about this working "as advertised".
    It's one thing to lock on a SAT, and another to lock on a multi-SAT configuration.
    The mobile auto-align dishes don't use the SWiM LNB, so a separate SWiM is needed after the auto-align detection circuits.

15. sro54

sro54 Cool Member

Feb 7, 2012
    I have a Beta Auto dish that has only a SWM. Not a known outfit yet but may become the new standard in auto dishes. Locks on every time perfect. With the addition of the BOW I will not have to install it and will sell it. These dishes skew and will easily lock on the three sats we want. If I wanted an SL5 I can do that as well with two different makes....like Winegard or Motosat.

What I will be doing is not perfect but works very well with the old switched LNBs with 4 outlets. Should work as good with the SWM as it will be pointed the same. And with a skew.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Well you may be the "first on your block" to have this work.
    The "old LNBs" have a fixed output, so detectors are a fairly simple way of finding the SATs. The SWiM has an AGC that ranges from -15 dB attenuation to +15 dB gain, which makes the detecting harder.

17. sro54

sro54 Cool Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Ok...the auto tv unit Has built in tuners so the DTV box does not know anything till it is locked on sat and is released.

My Internet dish works the same way. So when I get a lock on the internet the BOW will be at the same place every time. As long as I get it adjusted right the first time it will work every time.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I haven't seen this in action so....
    "but" you haven't yet posted enough to suggest it's going to work as you think.
    You may get it tweaked for your area, but drive to another state and have to redo it.
    [again] I don't know how this one works, but do know "just a bit" :)lol:) of what's needed for this to work.

19. sro54

sro54 Cool Member

Feb 7, 2012
    I do understand your concern. I have clients with the switch HD set up and they drive all over the US. Unless they are tweeking the LNB when they move through the states they are not telling me. I am sending you a PM with a link for you to check out.

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This might be "the better mouse trap". :shrug: