1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install tomorrow-will they cancel?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by msdizzydolores, Apr 14, 2009.

1. msdizzydolores

msdizzydolores Mentor

Apr 4, 2008
    :(
    It is supposed to be heavy rain here today and then damp all day tomorrow and I really don't want to blow a personal/vacation tomorrow if they don't show up or cancel tomorrow instead of canceling on me today....any suggestions?

Do they install when it rains? Thanks for any suggestions you can offer. I can use the day off to complete work for school, but I would rather hold onto all of my days if I can.

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    They install in my area when it rains. Probably wouldn't in a hurricane or tornado.;)

3. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    If you get a guy that works for Dish you may get a cancellation. They get paid by the hour so, cancellations don't bother them as much. If you get a sub they get paid by the job so, they try to get as many is as they can sometimes by whatever means possible. Usually when subs are rescheduleing customers it is because there are just not enough hours in the day to get all the work done, not because they don't want to do it.

4. msdizzydolores

msdizzydolores Mentor

Apr 4, 2008
    LOL
    I would hope they would have common sense not to in a tornado or hurricane. BUT YOU NEVER KNOW!!
    Hehehe
    Thank you for replying. I really hope they come with no problems!

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Rain by itself usually isn't a problem. Rain with high wind or with lightning is going to be a no-go. Getting off the ladder and on the roof (something I normally don't let my techs do anyway) is not going to happen if it's raining, so if you had a location for the dish that can't be fully accessed from the ladder, that's a no-go.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Years and years ago I worked for a two-way radio shop... I would never start an outside job in the rain, period. Besides the electrical storm possibilities and wind, ladders can get slick in the rain.

That said, I have finished jobs in the rain that I'd already started.

7. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    As long as it isn't sever weather, its kind of a good thing that is raining as they do install. YOU can make sure they properly teak the dish to account for any rain fade down the road.

8. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    +1

9. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    I moved and upgraded from SD to HD about a year and a half ago and it was pouring rain that day. Installer showed up, luckily didn't need more than a eight foot step ladder to reach where the dish was going. It was good to know that i'd have a good signal in the rain since he had to peak the 3 lnb dish during a downpour. I felt sorry for the guy, let him come inside and dry off a while and have a coke and when he got done, he got a nice tip. So yeah I do know that installers will show up and work in the rain.

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Not really.

Rain fade is at least partially the result of signal being distorted and reflected differently than normal... so if you peak to those conditions, it is entirely possible to have worse experience on a clear day.

Imagine tweaking the focus of your camera lens based upon a mirror someone has put up to reflect the image towards you... then take the mirror away. Your adjustments would likely be completely off from what they should be.

A Dish should be peaked according to the conditions expected on an average day... peaking to special conditions (be it exceptionally clear/dry or exceptionally rainy) can have surprising results when the normal days come.

11. msdizzydolores

msdizzydolores Mentor

Apr 4, 2008
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I will wait and see what happens tomorrow. I got a call while I was cleaning up the house and moving things out of the way...and it was just to confirm my installation for tomorrow b/w 8-12.

I've been thinking about slick ladders for two days and I don't need anyone getting hurt on my watch. I hope it doesn't rain to hard. Uggghhhhh

Another question...do I need to tip the installer or provide any money after installation? I'm just checking.

12. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    You only need to tip if they do an outstanding job. Sorry, you don't ever have to tip. if you feel like it, due to your experience, go ahead. it's never required.

13. msdizzydolores

msdizzydolores Mentor

Apr 4, 2008
    Another question...and again, thanks for all of your help everyone....

Will I be getting two dishes? One for international, one for regular programming?

14. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    People tip the installers?

15. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    No, they won't cancel. Doesn't mean they'll show up... :D

Actually, the last time I had a tech (Dish employee) at my place, he was having some trouble with a cantankerous replacement 622 (a supposed "refurb" that had to be replaced because the cooling fan wouldn't come on), then also found I had a LOS obstruction that I wasn't aware of from a growing tree. He called his next appointment to let them know he was running behind. I thanked him on the spot for doing that.

16. msdizzydolores

msdizzydolores Mentor

Apr 4, 2008
    Dude.
    He called me at 7:30....I was just about to get in the shower...he got here at 7:30....uggghhhh so needless to say, I didn't get a shower...thank God I washed up earlier this morning...and brushed my teeth.

Anyway....the Association needs the wires encased...and he is looking at me like I have 3 heads and spewing blood....and says, "I don't know if I can do that, blah blah blah....something something about wire fishing....not trained...blah blah blah..."
    So I asked how others in the complex who have Dish do it and he said he would walk around.

WTF? Dude, I didn't take a personal day off for this crap. Any advice? We have a jacked up way of wiring here...I guess this is the problem...I don't know...when I got Comcast I let them do what they needed to do...what gives?

17. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Well if your complex has specific wiring needs it might not be technically possible or very hard to run wires. Not all systems ie cable vs DBS can run their wires the same way. If wall fishing is involved he might indeed not be trained for it. Try to work with him and be convincing and make sure you have a number for the main office for the complex or the super.

18. msdizzydolores

msdizzydolores Mentor

Apr 4, 2008
    He called his supervisor and he will be calling my Association manager at 9.
    He told me that the International dish is large and it cannot be mounted to where the Association wants to mounted to...and also the wiring issue. So a more experienced tech will be coming out or his supervisor....and he will continue to keep trying to get information from the Association manager before he comes out.

Boy oh boy...what have I gotten myself into. Is the Int'l dish that big?????

19. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    The 500+ dish is indeed larger but uses the same mounting mast as a regular 500. Of course it's hard to give advice from here but I would also get in touch with the Super and see what he has to say.

20. msdizzydolores

msdizzydolores Mentor

Apr 4, 2008
    Ok. I will call her at 9 on the dot and how she is in. I might actually go knock on the door of the Assoc. President for our complex and get his opinion if he's available before she gets in.

I will keep you all up to date. :(