1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install Tuesday 5/26, will I get an SWM?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by tsantanni, May 21, 2009.

1. tsantanni

tsantanni Cool Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Sorry guys, I dont have hours to search and read through the forums this week due to packing and getting ready to move so thought I would just ask. Be nice please :). I currently have two HR20's, and an H20 in my house. I have the 5LNB HD Dish I believe. It was installed like 3 years ago.

Fast forward to Tuesday. I am bringing all my receivers over, adding another HD DVR for a total of 3, and doing the movers connections thing. Are they going to install an SWM style LNB's so it will be single wire to each DVR? That would be so much easier since everything is pre-wired already. What else do I need to be concerned about so all my stuff works properly. Thanks so much.

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    If they follow DirecTv guidelines, no.

SWM LNBs are supposed to be for NEW customers only.

3. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    I agree with RobertE on that, however you may still get one. You could also buy your own and have them install it instead of what they bring. Not saying you should have to buy your own but just a thought.

4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I bought the kit for $45 with free shipping. Its not expensive to buy if you look around. It would be well worth it.

5. Laserjock

Laserjock AllStar

Mar 6, 2006
    Again, I don't get this policy by DirecTV regarding new customers only for the SWM LNB option. If you are moving, have a house pre-wired with one cable per room and are using that to feed your signal, why would it not be in DirecTV's best interest, and more efficient/cost effective, to simply put a SWM LNB in place rather than have a tech snake cabling when it may not be needed?

Sorry if I am missing something, but just don't get it.

6. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    When you move they tell you to leave the dish at the old house don;t they. In this case why wouldn't they install the swm dish at the new house - they need to install a new dish anyways.

7. tsantanni

tsantanni Cool Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I called DirecTV and explained the info I was after. The guy I talked to knew exactly what an SWM was and told me that the system generates whether you need one or not and that he couldn't specifically request I get one. I then asked him to look at the work order and he told me it specifies a SWM. Hopefully he wasn't blowing smoke up my ass. I believe because I will have 3 DVR's that is why I am getting one?

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The reason they are (currently) for new customers is because MOST customers who upgrade or move still have at least one non-SWM-compatible receiver, which wouldn't be supported, and DirecTV doesn't want to pay to change out good receivers just so they're SWM compatible.

In some areas, the techs have a bit of leeway and can install a SWM LNB if you have all SWM-compatible receivers, but in most areas, they have to install what's on the work order, and as the CSR stated, the work orders are automatically generated by the order system based on DirecTV's business rules.

9. Laserjock

Laserjock AllStar

Mar 6, 2006
    Thanks BZ, you explained this to me before in another thread and I just forgot about the legacy receivers. When I called the Moving Connection I actually upgraded two my receivers to HD and added two more [paid for two got two for free] so I will end up with 6 HD and 1 HD DVR, hence my hope for an SWM install as the house is pre-wired with one outlet per room.

But..I guess I will see. If not, I do have standup crawl space under the wall that would service the HD DVR.

10. ljm1969

ljm1969 New Member

Aug 31, 2008
    im an installer, and they do not give swm to movers, only to new installs with 4 receivers or more.

11. Laserjock

Laserjock AllStar

Mar 6, 2006
    Well, if they cannot justify giving an SWM LNB to a 14yr subscriber with 7 HD receivers...then I guess it shows how ridiculous their rules are.

12. DiSH Defector

DiSH Defector Legend

May 4, 2008
    It's been noted in MANY places in the forums that just because you buy a SWM on your own doesn't mean the installer will install it for you. It could possibly cause even more frustration for someone reading this thread if they went through the trouble of ordering one only to wind up with an installer who has no idea what a SWM is or how to cable it.

That's normally when that customer would then post about how inept/uninformed/unprofesional/moronic the installer/installation company/Directv is for now knowing, when it's no one's fault but their own for expecting something they were never promised in the first place.

13. tarparrish

tarparrish New Member

May 21, 2009
    you will not get a swim and even if you buy you're own the installer can only install whats on the order and will get in trouble for installing equipment not on the order i know this because i'm an installer my self.

14. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    Maybe I should have been more specific and said SWM LNB, and if an installer comes to your house and doesn't know how to install it, then I think he needs to look for a new line of work! Had I'd been talking about a SWM 8 I could understand an installer looking at it going wtf. Even if the installer won't install it (and no I wouldn't blame them for not doing it) if the OP isn't scared of heights he can install it himself since it's not hard to do!

15. tsantanni

tsantanni Cool Member

Nov 8, 2007
    I just want to update this post. As I mentioned previously, DirecTV did indeed specify a SWM on the work order and that is what was installed at my new house. For a SWM to be authorized, there has to be a need as in several DVR's, and all of the equipment must be SWM compatible so said the tech. Fortunately for me, all my existing equipment was compatible as they were all H20 and HR20 series. The install went very well, and the tech did a nice job.

16. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    That's great news!!!

It's good to hear good news instead of the normal not so good that forums such as this can get.

17. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    Glad to hear you got what you wanted!

18. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    any installer should know how to install a SWM LNB. However in this backcharging crazy racket that we work in its ultimately up to the tech about whatever he wants to do on any given job , because he is the one that will be getting backcharged for any problem whatsoever. If that SWM LNB goes bad in a week and a regular LNB was on the work order to be installed, take a guess at whos in trouble when there is a problem. Things you buy off EBAY should either be installed by yourself or the tech should get paid Cash Money on the spot to deal with it. Like did you know certain batches and brands of SWM Lnbs were taken out of inventory due to problems in the cold weather? If I show up and customer wants me to hookup one of those should I ?? Also a SWM system is alot more complicated for a customer. They cant just unplug a box and move it without resetting the whole system, no biggie, but for 80 yr old grandma that could be a major issue. Just something to think about....