1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation cancelled email sent to directv (long read)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by njfoses, May 26, 2010.

1. njfoses

njfoses Legend

Sep 14, 2007
    Atlanta
    Well my installation scheduled today from 8am-12pm is a no go. Below is the email i just sent directv which explains the saga if anybody would like to read. Long story short though is that the installers cancelled the appt for not having the broadband deca even though i explained to them they can use a regular deca with a pi. I was also lied to and had a hard enough time even scheduling an appt. I attached installation pictures and diagrams from here as well.

To whom it may concern, my name is " " and my phone number on my acct is xxx-xxx-xxxx i have been a directv customer customer since 2007 and i am in the middle of extremely poor service currently. I had called directv on 5/14 to order the whole home dvr service along with an upgrade from an sd-dvr to an hd-dvr. This rep was very friendly and got me all setup until the point of scheduling an installation date. She said the system was unable to schedule me and to check online under my account or call back within 24 hours. Long story short with this part of the story was that i was promised calls from directv and the installers office to schedule an appt which never happened. It took a week of me calling to finally get an installation date which was another week out, yet my credit card was charged from day one. So my install was scheduled for today between 8am-12pm. The installer calls me at 7am to go over the work order and informs me he does not have the broadband deca unit so i can access on demand. I explain to him that he needs to use a regular deca with a power inserter PS18 or PI-21 as that is how all the mrv installs have been done so far since the broadband deca isnt available yet. I must have been on speakerphone because i hear his boss in the background telling me that will not work. I politely explain to him again that it will work and if he looked in his training materials it would show him that is the correct method until the broadband deca becomes available. I have also attached a diagram and pictures showing this if you would please take a look. The installer tells me he will talk it over with his boss. I hear nothing else and its now 10am so i send a txt message to the installer as i had his number asking when he may arrive since it is very difficult for me to get a half day off of work. He tells me that his supervisor is handling the work order and that somebody else will be coming out for the installation. This all sounded fishy to me so i called directv and they inform me that the work order has been cancelled due to the installers not having the broadband deca unit. So the installation company had no intent on calling me to tell me that and i would have sat here waiting for somebody to show up. I dont like being bold faced lied to. Its a shame as it is that i know more about the installation process than the actual installer, yet they refused to listen to me and cancelled the work order without telling me and now i lost a half days work for nothing. The rep from directv stated i could reschedule but what is the point if they are just going to cancel me again due to a part that they dont have yet dont need. All i want is the service i have already paid for two weeks ago now. I want to give the installers one more shot to make this right but if there are any more problems i will want a full refund of $211.68 which is what i paid on 5/14. I will also look for an alternate service provider as i am no longer under contract with directv. Im hoping you can contact the installation company directly, get me setup with a prompt installation date that works around my schedule, and explain to them that their information is incorrect regarding the broadband deca. I can be reached any time at xxx-xxx-xxxx. Thank you very much for your time in reading this and im hoping this can be made right in the end.

Thanks.

2. Ken984

Ken984 Active Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Bossier...
    I think you did a great job keeping it to the facts and I hope somebody at DirecTV reads it and gets you hooked up. It seems some installers/companies are just too stubborn to listen to the customer.
    The installer I had told me up front it was his first install of MRV/DECA and welcomed my input, maybe the next guy you get will be the same, good luck!

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Unfortunately, the Broadband DECA units are in VERY short supply, but DirecTV is trying to force techs to use it rather than a normal DECA unit. The installers are in a Catch-22 and can't do anything about it until production of Broadband DECAs ramps up.

I would recommend waiting a week or two and reorder. New equipment is ALWAYS in short supply on any DirecTV rollout, but that always improves over time.

4. njfoses

njfoses Legend

Sep 14, 2007
    Atlanta
    The installer informed me they wont have the unit for "months" which i feel is unacceptable since my cc has already been charged especially when there is a work around.

5. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    I thought the (real) Broadband DECA units weren't even supposed to be available anywhere until next month. :confused:

If it were me, I would immediately call "retention" and get to "case management". No waiting on service he was forced to prepay for. :flaiming

6. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Retention and/or Case management can't make gear magicly appear out of thin air.

7. njfoses

njfoses Legend

Sep 14, 2007
    Atlanta
    I completely understand that but they have the gear available, just not the broadband deca. If installers are "forced" to use the broadband deca then csr's should not be taking money and scheduling appointments for a product that is not available.

8. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    That particular location is misinformed as to what to do if they do not have the DECA BB available.

Many locations just make stuff as they go along unfortunately. :nono2:

9. pabuwal

pabuwal New Member

May 17, 2008
    I live in Central NJ and was also told that that the Broadband DECA would not be available for months. I had a second install scheduled for the Internet portion and they just never showed - no cancellation notice.

DirecTV mailed me a regular DECA but no power inserter so I guess I am still out of luck.

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Contact Ellen Filipiak <ellen.filipiak@directv.com>, the VP of customer service and explain your predicament. Her office has been very receptive to those with on-going issues.

To the OP, I would also recommend e-mailing Ms. Filipiak if you don't get your issue resolved through the normal e-mail support.

- Merg

11. pabuwal

pabuwal New Member

May 17, 2008
    Thanks. I've spoken to various departments and supervisors this week. They all promise a call back and resolution and I get nothing. I have also wasted an entire day on this. It's amazing to me how badly the Broadband DECA portion is being handled in this region.

12. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Regardless of if the Broadband DECA issue....they canceled the work order and told you that it was going to be handled by someone else. So, if you didn't call to ask if the work order was still active you would have been sitting waiting for them to show up...not good.

13. pabuwal

pabuwal New Member

May 17, 2008
    Since I had a HR 20 next to my router, I hooked the Ethernet cable from the HR-20 DECA to the router and a second one from the HR 20 to the router. I am not using a broadband DECA and everything seems to work fine - so I'll leave it at that for now.

14. njfoses

njfoses Legend

Sep 14, 2007
    Atlanta
    That is who i sent the email to. What really ticks me off is that they never even offered to install everything else they just cancelled it without informing me. As of right now i have a new install date for june 9th which is the earliest they could provide. This is through tech support as i havent received a response back yet from my email. The rep also specifically noted the work order stating to use a deca and ps18 or pi-21 for the internet connection if the broadband deca is still not available. Hopefully that will help but im really not holding my breath. As long as i can get the rest of the system installed i will work with having a deca and pi shipped to me as the other poster did or getting directv to credit my acct for me to purchase one with the pi.

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Using the second jack (I'm assuming you have a -700) is generally a bad idea. It can cause weird issues on your network that you might not realize are related to that setup. Plus it uses CPU cycles of the DVR.

16. pabuwal

pabuwal New Member

May 17, 2008
    I'm just using one ethernet jack on the HR20-700. Do these issues apply here?

17. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    No, that works. But D* should install it correctly, with another DECA and a power supply.

18. xandor

xandor Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    That doesn't sound like what that poster did. Sounds like instead of connecting the DECA to the receiver it's connected to, they connected the cable to their switch, then a separate cable from the switch to the HR20. The HR20 would not really be in the DECA 'cloud', but coming from the outside in.

User should try to get another DECA and PI, and use that to hook to the switch.

19. pabuwal

pabuwal New Member

May 17, 2008
    Right, that's what I did. I have spent so many hours on the phone with various people at DirecTV, I am going to leave it like this for now until I hear things are going more smoothly in this area. Each call to them is a minimum of 1 hour just to be told "they will get back to me."

They did send me a DECA but no power inserter and no splitter.

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Got it, think I read it wrong or was confused by the method.