1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation Failure

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by old_skul, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old_skul

old_skul Cool Member

Sep 27, 2006
    D* tech came out on Saturday to install an HR20, an H20, and a new dish. As it stands, my current 1-lnb dish barely clears the neighbor's roof and aims just to the south of some trees.

After some hemming and hawwing, he puts a dish together - a 5-lnb Andrews? - and mounts it on my porch roof, explaining that he was hopeful that we'd clear the trees and sure it would clear the neighbor's roof. When he mounted the mast, it was on a sloped portion of the roof, and the mount point for the dish was not vertical. Needless to say, dish aiming wasn't by-the-book.

He was able to get strong signal from the 101 satellite. He explained that although there's 5 lnbs, there's a need only to get signal from two sats - 101 and 119. Trying to get signal from 119 proved futile. He just couldn't get it recieve a signal.

He called his supervisor, hoping he could stop by and aim the dish. The supervisor claimed he couldn't make it over until Tuesday. :( So now I'm wondering what's going to happen.

I had the installer leave the H20 with me so I could try aiming the dish myself. I tried with no luck. The best I was able to get was a 75%-ish signal from the 101 satellite, and I never got 119 to do anything at all. I have a sneaking suspicion that the mast not being vertical has a bit to do with it.

Now, this is on my porch roof. Were we to move this dish up to the main roof of my house, it would clear the trees no problem. However, the installer claimed his ladders wouldn't reach. Do they have longer ladders stashed somewhere?!

Dish Network doesn't look like a possibility, either - their sats are too far west and low in the sky.

Thoughts?

2. cybrsurfer

cybrsurfer Banned User

Sep 17, 2006
    The installer was wrong about what satellites you need for your HD programming. You need to be able to get 101,110,and 119. Plus you need to get either 99 or 103 depending on what local market you have for local HD. Local HD is coming up in most markets now and they are on 99 and 103. That's why the AT-9 (5LNB) dish was made for this new satellite availability. It sounds like the installer didn't mount the dish correctly, and failed to use the proper meter to align it to the satellites. I personally get all 5 satellites in Massachusetts with high signal quality . So it is possible when it is installed correctly to get all five working.:eek2:

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  4. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Go back to square one and mount the foot correctly. There should be a bubble level in the center of the mast. After you get the mounting foot correct follow the printed instructions he should have left with you.

5. old_skul

old_skul Cool Member

Sep 27, 2006
    I have the installer's supervisor showing up today. I want HD so bad I can taste it. :( Dish Network has satellites in the same slots, so no love there - my only hope is either Time Warner or moving somewhere else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.