Installation help with DISH HD receiver...

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by terfmop, Aug 11, 2010.

1. terfmop

terfmop Legend

Sep 28, 2004
    I was at work this morning, while a family member was at my house for the DISH technician to install an HD DVR (not sure which model, as I was at work at the time of installation).

The setup I have, is the DISH receiver will go to my Onkyo receiver which then transmits everything to my Panasonic projector.

I was called by the dish technician, stating that everytime he connected the component cables to the Onkyo A/V receiver, the Onkyo receiver shut down. He also tried using an HDMI cable with the same result....shutdown of the A/V receiver.

However, The A/V receiver has no problem displaying my PS3 through no does it have problems with an OTA receiver via component input.

The technician then tried another DISH receiver but had the same problems of shutting down the A/V receiver.

ANyone know what might be causing the problem between teh DISH receiver and A/V receiver??

2. E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
    This is odd.

FWIW, in my own setup, I have a DISH DVR going to a Samsung LCD with a HDMI. I then have the sound going from the TV to the receiver via an optical cable (my receiver pre-dates HDMI cables). The reason I am suggesting this sort of setup is that it avoids whatever difficulties that seem to be occurring in communications with the VIP 722K (which is what I assume they are installing) and your ONKYO receiver.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You may have a ground loop somewhere, especially if both your dish and your receiver are grounded at different points and/or the ground sources aren't bonded back to the main house ground rod.

4. terfmop

terfmop Legend

Sep 28, 2004

ok..umm...what would i need to do to check that?

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The first thing you can do is disconnect the ground wire on your ground block:

[​IMG]

The green 10-gauge solid-copper wire goes from the ground block to a ground source of some kind, usually your power meter or the ground rod attached to it.

6. terfmop

terfmop Legend

Sep 28, 2004
    i called customer service to reschedule an installation. Apparently I was getting a VIP solo 612 installed.....I don't know if that information helps any.

7. terfmop

terfmop Legend

Sep 28, 2004
    just to make sure I understand you...take out the green wire and attatch it to the ground rod by my power meter.

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    No, no.

There should *already* be a green ground wire going from your ground block to either your meter or ground rod. This may be causing a ground loop if the power outlets in your house aren't also bonded to the ground rod. Fixing your interior power outlets may or may not be easy, but it certainly isn't easy to keep opening them up for troubleshooting, so *just for troubleshooting* (to see if the problem is a ground loop), you'll want to disconnect the ground wire that's grounding your dish. Just disconnect the wire at the ground block.

If that solves the problem, then the correct solution is to get an electrician out to check your home wiring out and make sure the grounds are bonded to the house ground rod (which is required by NEC code, but not always done right). Once that is done, you can hook the satellite ground wire back up.

9. Hunter844

Hunter844 Legend

Apr 26, 2007