1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation nightmare (HD Recorder - new customer)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by highlander1213, Jul 11, 2010.

1. highlander1213

highlander1213 New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    I've read through some of the posts here and found that some people have had similar problems...

I'm a new customer (never had satellite before), and I chose the free HD for life with HD recording in multiple rooms package.

My first installation date was June 29. I got a call the evening before from the "local installer" (and by local, I mean about an hour's drive away - closest to us, I presume) saying that they didn't receive their truck with the HD equipment, and that our installation would be delayed until the next truck arrived. I explained that we were going on vacation, and that we wouldn't be there when they wanted to reinstall. After speaking with DirecTV several times (each and every time, they denied any news of any problems, promising that we were still on-time scheduled for June 29), and after that June 29 date came and passed w/o anyone coming or calling, I spoke with about 3 supervisors (if they even were supervisors). They arranged a new installation date of July 2. Again, this date came and passed without any results or calls.

Now, they rescheduled us for today, July 11. Last night, we once again got a call saying that they were out of the equipment and that it would be delayed. I immediately asked to speak with a supervisor, and after about 15 minutes on hold, the line went dead.

When I called back the number on caller-ID, I got the national number, and once again, they said that we are still on schedule as promised for today.

I'm not holding my breath about anyone coming today.

If anyone out there who had similar problems and have had them resolved (installed finally), please let me know how you finally got it resolved. Anyone who works for DirecTV, please let me know the best way to handle this.

Thank you!

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    First of all...

:welcome_s to DBSTalk.

There have been other reports that (based on the popularity and numerous installs of the HR24 HD DVRs), there are some regional shortages of inventories for the equipment. Unfortunately, your installer is at the mercy of getting the hardware.

The only good news is that there are now 2 models, the HR24-500 and the HR24-100 HD DVRs, which are virtually identical (just different manufacturers), so the inventories should ramp up again soon.

I know that doesn't help you today....but hopefully very soon.

Let us know how your install goes once they can schedule you to get this done.

3. highlander1213

Jul 11, 2010
    Thank you for the quick response! Sure, that might eventually help... but as you said not so much for today. :(

Isn't there some way to be put higher priority since it's going on a month for me now, and I've certainly been waiting longer than many people who probably just got lucky that their tech just happened to get the equipment for their job (who likely just started their order yesterday)?

Thanks!

4. highlander1213

Jul 11, 2010
    July 11, 2:30PM: Installer has arrived! It's pouring rain outside with flash flood warnings and a tornado watch, and he had to drive through the worst of the storm for just under an hour to get here, but he arrived. Beside that, he went over the work order, and he said that he DOES have all of the necessary equipment (the right ones too, I think!).

Because it's still pouring and there should be a break between storms in a short while, I agreed to let him go get something to eat then come back..

I'll post another update later...

5. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    I hope the weather breaks enough for him to get the dish installed and alligned. Otherwise you are in for another delay. Good luck.

6. pappy97

pappy97 Icon

Nov 14, 2009
    How'd it go? Did you end up with HR24's??

7. highlander1213

Jul 11, 2010
    Yes, we did get the one HR24 that we'd ordered, in addition to another HD receiver (not recorder). So, finally, it's done.

I really wish that I could input some sort of advice to others who might also find this information when researching out of their own frustration... honestly, I don't know what to say.. be persistent. I really didn't believe anyone would show up today. It really shows poor customer service that they would've called the evening before the installation date to say that there was a delay, only to have the techs arrive here with the correct equipment anyway.

If there was one thing that *might* have made a difference, it's probably that we didn't accept the answer of the agent who called us last night. If we'd said, "ok, we'll reschedule," and believed that there was a problem, then we probably would've had a problem. In retrospect, in addition to all the info here, I think that DTV is likely having their rep's call customers to try to get some of them to agree to a delay, so that others can get their installations. I can't say that my theory is right, but just in case it is... that's my advice: don't accept a reschedule.

I hope it all works out for everyone else, and thank you to all who've been of great assistance here! :)

8. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Glad to hear it worked out. Don't be a stranger now!