1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation of 622 - Another Mess

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by barryl, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barryl

barryl New Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Just had 622 installed yesterday. What a cluster****. 2 techs showed up and explained to me that all they really had to do was exchange the 622 with the 921 and that no new connections would be necessary!
    After they said that they were finished I went to TV 2. The night before, and as long as I've had the 921, I was able to watch anything on the upstairs set using the 921 receiver. Anyway, after the install, the TV 2 had no picture.
    When I asked the techs to connect the new receiver so that I could watch on the upstairs set, they showed me the work order that said to install only set 1 ! They told me that if I wanted any other sets installed, I would have to schedule another appointment and pay an additional $100 for the service.
    I very nicely asked the techs to now remove the 622 and put the 921 back, so that everything was set up the way it had been before they started. This request was refused and further discussion ensued.
    Ultimately, they called their supervisor and were approved for overtime to connect the 2nd set. This process, using an existing coax line, took over an hour and resulted in all of my satellite wiring, throughout the house, being totally changed.
    Bottom line: I am now able to watch TV from either set 1 or set 2. HOWEVER, my rooftop antenna is now disconnected, resulting in no off air channels.
    What chance do you think I'll have getting somebody from Dish to come back and putting things back the way they were?

2. datwell

datwell Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 26, 2005
    They certainly should! This is a good reason to do things for yourself whenever possible - that's my strategy anyway.

--Doug

3. device manager

device manager AllStar

Apr 11, 2006
    The 622 has 2 sat in's and 1 out, so I am not sure why it wasn't an easy swap. You could always trace the cable for your off air (I'd recommend labeling all of the coax cables for future reference) and reconnect it.

Is the 622 your only receiver? How many dishes do you have? What model(s) are they? Are you trying to pick up the Voom or HD locals?

4. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    So where is the coax from your rooftop antenna? I can't imagine they went up on the roof to disconnect it. Can you not just reconnect your OTA antenna? The wiring for a 622 is pretty basic. You have one coax output which can feed any other tvs in the house. You have two Sat inputs (the most difficult part of most installs) and you have one OTA input.

In my case I had put the receiver in the rack. Connected the OTA antenna and the Coax feed to the remote TVs. I left the new Sat connections for the installer and they did try a couple things before deciding to pull in an additional line from an additional DP34 that they supplied. Once I found out that they did not have a needed DPP44, we began discussing alternate solutions until we found one. It is hard to believe that if you were previously using a remote tv fed by Coax that it wouldn't work unless the modulator channels or your TV weren't set properly.

..Doyle

5. barryl

barryl New Member

Mar 5, 2006

The 622 is the only HD receiver. I have 2 others. I have 2 Dish antennas (don't know which ones). I am getting a few of the local HD channels that I didn't have with the 921. I'm pretty certain that I currently have none of the Voom channels.

Dish has schedluled a return visit from a tech to hook up the off air antenna. We'll see if they can do that without disrupting all the other connections I currently have.

6. barryl

barryl New Member

Mar 5, 2006
    With the new install, the techs put all the cables back on the 622 exactly the same way that they were connected to the 921. The 2nd set was changed to the required channel 73. Initially, no signal was being received on that set. It took well over an hour and a total revamping of all the existing coax connections where they come into the basement. I have no idea which one is from the off air antenna because of the mess they made.

7. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    Yes, it's really better to understand your own wiring. IF, I let techs do any rewiring we always have a strong discussion before they start and make sure we both understand what is going to be done.

Some systems can get pretty convoluted. To give the tech some benefit of the doubt, it can be difficult to figure out what other people have previously done.

Barryl: In your case the best solution would have been to run a new coax to feed TV2 (and leave all OTA alone). For many, this is not possible (the techs are not gonna tear into your sheetrock).

You might be able to use combiners/splitters to mix the OTA antenna and the 622 backfeed on the same cable (you set the 622 to modulate onto a channel well away from all broadcast).

This too can get a bit tricky. Since your OTA cable ends up at an OTA antenna, there a slim chance you could end up broadcasting the 622 backfeed to your neighbors (watching any adult programming?). They make filters to block this.

I suggest you start with a picture (block diagram) show how everything is hooked up (TVs, receivers, sat antenna, TV antenna). Try and show all available cables. We might be able to help you more.

Have any friends that are "into" this stuff. Invite one over for some beer/pizza and he (or she) should be able to get you fixed up.

PS: It's pretty sad if the tech took 1 your to hook up TV2 using exisiting coax. Either your existing wiring is convoluted, or he did know how to drive something. What were they doing for an hour? Messing with coax or the 622?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.