1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

installation options

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by waybreezy, Sep 12, 2009.

1. waybreezy

waybreezy New Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Okay, here goes....have had directv for 7 plus years, currently have older twin lnb dish with 2 hughes hird-e1 receivers(don't laugh!:lol:) in bedrooms and tivo dvr r10 receiver in livingroom....all of which work perfectly fine. Just purchased the hr22 hd dvr and trying to figure out best scenario for installation. After reading alot of post i'm wondering if it would be posible to use the non swm slimline au9-s to hook up the newer receiver in livingroom and dvr r10 and one of the hughs receivers in the bedrooms? My other thought is to leave my set-up as is and just buy the correct dish to install the hr22, thus having 2 dishes outside....my only thought with this is would this alter my billing as if i had 2 separate accounts and cost more or would i just incur regular increase as if i just upgraded my service? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Using a second dish is a solution and you won't need a separate account.

However, it would be better to just upgrade to the AU9 Slimline dish. This will allow you to continue to use your older receivers and to add the newer HD DVRs.

3. waybreezy

waybreezy New Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks for the response....so with the AU9 i won't need a power inverter, but will need a multiswitch and splitter correct? or just one of those?

4. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Get the AU9 Dish with the NON-SWM LNB, and a WB68 multiswitch. That will run up to 8 tuners just fine

You will either need an SL3 or SL5 LNB depending on your location (do you need anything off 119)

5. waybreezy

waybreezy New Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I don't believe so, everything seems to be on 101

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Have you tried talking to D* you may be able to get a free dish and switch and installation from them.

7. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I worked on a deal like yours recently.

The installation tech upgraded to a 5LNB Ka/Ku and ran a single line to the HD receiver. He then used two of the four remaining ports to run a 3x4 (legacy) multiswitch for the remaining three SD receivers. While the WB 6x8 would be the correct application, the 3x4 to run the SD & old receivers was much cheaper.
    I ended up replacing the 3x4..all worked again.

Joe

8. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    If I were you, I would leave the old dish in place to drive the old legacy equipment until you retire it, and install a slimline dish with a SWM LNB to drive the HR22 and any future HD DVRs or receivers that you get. that way, you only have to either run one new cable (or switch the dish side connection on one existing cable) between the Slimline SWM LNB and the HR22.

As others have pointed out, having multiple dishes for multiple receivers on the same account doesn't matter for billing purposes. All receivers just have to be located at a single residence.