1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installed XP

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Mark, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Feb 3, 2003 #1 of 28
    Mark

Mark Mentor

Jan 13, 2003
    Well I finall did it after Win 98 CRASHED to 48756 time on me. I bought and installed Win XP and have been running it for 3 day now, with no crashes.

I Hate to say it but it does run better that win 98 and the internet problem i was having with slow speeds at time seems to have stoped..

:)

I still think Bill Gates is jerk though....

2. Feb 3, 2003 #2 of 28
    Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    I have been very happy with WinXP. It is very stable. After how many years, Microsoft finally got an OS out that is showing signs of actually being a mature OS.

3. Feb 3, 2003 #3 of 28
    MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Windows 2000 was almost as good. The only reason it didn't get all these good comments XP is getting is because Microsoft marketed it as a business-only OS. 2000 was, however, almost as compatible and easy to use as XP, and far easier to use than 98 or Me.

4. Feb 3, 2003 #4 of 28
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Mark,

Glad you finally made the jump to XP. I installed mine the first month it was released and haven't looked back. The great thing is that installing new cards and peripherals is a breeze. XP recognizes almost everything.

5. Feb 4, 2003 #5 of 28
    gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    One of the Reasons XP and 2000 are more stable is that MS has left behind old compatibility requirements in favor for stability. My favorite game is from 1994 or so, it is DOS based "Steel Panthers". I never have a problem running it until 2000 and XP. They got rid of the old garanteed DOS compatibility in 95/98/ME, I have to use an "Emulator" to run the game.

So those who were dragging along using 10 year old+ SW will have to upgrade. But as discussed here, the stability is worth it.

6. Feb 4, 2003 #6 of 28
    gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    MS was afraid to remove the old DOS compatiblity for the Home user, so MS let ME take position instead of Win2000 "HOME". Whether that was a mistake is really based on how people were ready to give up their very old apps.

Luckily with XP they decided to move the home user to the more stable environment.

7. Feb 4, 2003 #7 of 28
    MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    Yeah, gcutler, I know that. But seriously, I think most people would have prefered a 2000 Home Edition to Windows Me. And therefore, it would have been a better success, and made MS more money. Me was the OS, I'm sure you can admit, that never should have existed. It offered no features worthwhile, and because it had too much stuff in it that wasn't well done (and often doesn't even work properly with the 9x kernel in Me), it crashed all the time. EVERY person I know with Me complains of constant crashing, and those I've convinced to shell out the money and go to XP all report no more crashes. Me shouldn't have been made. It's that simple, really.

8. Feb 4, 2003 #8 of 28
    firephoto

firephoto Icon

Sep 12, 2002
    It's such a shame all the money MS has lost due to WinME. lol

I'm pretty sure they made more money the way they did it. What will they do now though since XP actually works ok? Although the updates don't seem to be helping too much lately. (shame on me, MS would never intentionally break something) ;)

9. Feb 4, 2003 #9 of 28
    TimL

TimL Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    Just wondering..(I have 98) Is it possible to run XP on a 32 MB system? I know it says at least 64 MB..

10. Rick_EE

Rick_EE Godfather

Apr 5, 2002

My installation of ME is significantly more stable than 98. And that was an upgrade, not a clean install. So now you know someone.

11. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    Okay Rick, cool. That's amazing. I was beginning to think that there wasn't a person on this planet Me worked okay for. Now I know there's a single one :)

12. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    It was more a marketing decision than a technical one. At the time, the discussion of removing the old DOS compatibility support was quite controvertial. I believe that MS listened tooo much to the customer with ME and thus the OS was decided on by comittee more than those who want to direct technology toward the most stable world.

Or some might say that MS released ME as a way to publically put a final nail in the coffin of the Win9x code?!?! When they again said they would remove the DOS compatibility from XP, far few if any people complained.

13. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Don't do it!

I would not run XP on below 128MB. With a rather "Tight System" (only 5 applets running in system tray) and no file sharing turned on I am using around 130-140MB just to boot. If you could get it to work on 32MB (or even 64-96MB) you would be swapping to virutal memory on the hard drive much of the time.

Even with Windows 98, if you were to double your RAM to 64MB you would get an incredible improvment (I know that my Windows 98 took 48MB to boot)

14. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    Yeah, XP won't even install without 64MB. If you want a more stable, faster, alternative to 98, get Windows 2000

15. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I still wouldn't recommend 2000 below 128MB just from the swapping issue. I may have gotten spoiled in that most places I've worked we have been able to get the right amount of ram out to all the users. But I believe 128MB these days is realatively affordable these days (and achievable on any machine in the past 8+ years), I've seen 128MB SIMMs recently for $20, etc.

16. Ryan

Ryan Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Are you XP people using the .net passport feature? I've been avoiding any upgrades to XP for a while because of that. I know you don't have to use the passport feature, but it was more of an idological stand rather than a technical one.

But I'm noticing more .net passport software that I'm considering using. Like the MS Money web stuff. (The MS Money Deluxe was $20 after a rebate, so I went for it.)

I'm still not using the passport, but am I cutting off my nose to spite my face, here? Should I just give in and be assimilated?

We are going to be upgrading our office systems and going with XP-Pro on at least three units.

Thanks for your thoughts on the passport 'feature.'

17. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I never use the feature but don't let that hold you back from upgrading.

18. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    It doesn't really work anyway. :p

19. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Zac, make that two (2) people you know who have found ME to be more stable than 98. I have five (5) computers that would be marginal at best with XP (two are still running WIN98 because they would be marginal with ME). I don't have the money to go out and replace all my boxes with all new ones, and I would rather get along with less stable systems than to have my family all sharing one computer.

20. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    My wifes computer runs ME without a hitch. She's never had trouble with it.