1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installer gave wrong model info to DTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dpeters11, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    My installer told DTV that my HR20 was a -700 and I noticed that on the back, the sticker said it was a 100S and had the port for the RF antenna, which the tech did not install along with the phone line I had there (I know it's not required, but like the caller ID function). Should I call DTV and tell them that the installer gave them the wrong info, or does it not matter? I got a software update a few minutes after he left, and it doesn't look like it tried to get the wrong one. Maybe I'll give him an explanation when he comes back to pick up his battery and charger that he left at my house.

Thanks

2. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    No, I don't think it matter on the model number. You can go ahead and plug in your phone line and if you want the RF to work and he didn't leave the antenna, just have him give you one.

3. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    welcome to the forums! :welcome_s

The precise model number shouldn't matter and they should already know it. But a quick call to a CSR would likely clear it up.

And if you have a phone line nearby, you can hook it up yourself.

Cheers,
    Tom

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBStalk

I would call them and let them know only because down the road if you return the box you don't want to have any problems because they have the wrong box in the system. They have the receiver ID # so it should not be a problem but I would not take a chance.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Thanks. I'll call them to make sure their records are right in case of a replacement. I went ahead and installed the antenna, phone line and switched the remote to RF mode. The day after the install I got it hooked up to my PC for MP3 and photos (got a few bugs to work out of the system for photos still.)

6. cavihitts

cavihitts Godfather

Mar 11, 2007

They probably have it right on their end but nothing wrong with double checking. Most times the rid will populate the other info such as serial # and model.

7. Rathmir

Rathmir Mentor

May 2, 2007
    Actually the installer is supposed to hook up all connections that you had previously and even if you didn't have the phone line connected it is required.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I did have the phone line plugged into my Tivo DVR, and the new one was put in the same place, so I don't know why he didn't do it. I thought it really was only required for Pay per View which I don't do very often. I plugged it in myself anyway, more for caller ID than anything. I wasn't too impressed with the install in general. He actually had it fully mounted then realized he still didn't have all the satellites, so had to move it up. More holes in the house than I really wanted, though he did caulk them. Plus he didn't know the model, and told me that the Season Pass type feature was called MyVOD, which seems like was renamed a while ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.