1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installer is here now! (6/25/2010) SWM 16 is extra???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by patg25, Jun 25, 2010.

1. patg25

patg25 AllStar

Nov 12, 2006
    The installer is here now getting ready to put every up. I am getting 3 HD DVRs, 2 HD Receivers and 1 SD Receiver. Total of 9 turners.

All new HR 24s :lol:

However, one glitch. I have 9 tuners but they are only covering an 8 switch with the standard install. Not a SWM 16. Is that how it usually works? They want $300 to install the SWM 16.

So for now I told them to just install the 8. I may buy the SWM 16 later if I can't get it free from D*

2. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    Nope, the SWiM-16 should be included if you have over 8 tuners. Call DIRECTV.

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Call DirecTV immediately.

When you speak to them...they should mitigate any confusion on this...not the installer. He is there to install, not negotiate pricing.

4. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Hate to toss the guy under the bus, but he is full of BS. Yes it costs close to $300, but thats not your problem. DirecTv will pay/reimburse him/his company for it. The price you paid for your install/upgrade includes the required dish(s) and switch(s). Under no circumstance should you pay for that switch.

Call DirecTv immediately at the main # 1-800-531-5000, or have him call the Order Modification Group (sorry, can't give you that number)

5. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    Yup, the SWiM-16 is their cost for your paying the extra $5/month for the 9th tuner. (I had installers offering to install a second SWM LNB dish... I politely declined. Since DirecTV was running commercials criticizing Dish for needing 2 dishes for some of its HD, they didn't press the issue.)

6. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Outcome?

7. patg25

patg25 AllStar

Nov 12, 2006
    To start from the beginning. Instead of calling D* I called an authorized reseller to make sure I'll get HR24s. No problem there. Got the same deal as the website. Called D*, and the person I talked to had no idea what the difference between the 8 and the 16 was. Told me I had to pay for the receivers.

Called back the reseller, they told me they are going to check into it.

8. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    All bets are off if you used a dealer for your install.

sorry.

9. patg25

patg25 AllStar

Nov 12, 2006
    This may have been an expensive lesson - sort of. I thought I was being smart to contact the reseller directly to ensure that I get the HR24s. I actually didn't need the 9th SD tuner, but what the hell. I figured for 5 bucks a month I'll get the 9th tuner and if I want to expand in the future everything is set. It's connected to a TV that is being used much.

At least the installer ran the 4 wires from the dish. Can I send the SD receiver back - it was free anyway, or do I have to keep it for 2 years.

10. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    You can send it back. Did you have to pay for the SWM16?

11. patg25

patg25 AllStar

Nov 12, 2006
    I had them put in an SWM-8 for now. They are supposed to "check again" if I can get the SWM 16 for free. Doesn't matter right now; they don't have any in stock anyway. It is kind of hard to get. So in the meantime one of the DVRs is going to have only one active tuner.

The SD receiver I got was supposed to run a couple of TVs that aren't going to be used much anyway. I am thinking about sending that one back and using the output of the HD receiver to run the other SD receiver. Hook up a Modulator and get some RF remotes.

Does anyone know if both HDMI and component outputs are active at the same time from the HD receiver?

12. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Yes both are active. I am using 1 of my HD DVRs hooked to a modulator and running another tv with an RF remote. Got a few RF remotes cheaply off EBAY.

13. patg25

patg25 AllStar

Nov 12, 2006
    Cool. That's what I am hoping to do. How far away is the TV that you are running? What type of RF Modulator / Remotes did you get?

14. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    You can use an old vcr. Run the composite output into the vcr and out from the vcr coax to the television. Set the tv channel to the output channel of the vcr.

15. patg25

patg25 AllStar

Nov 12, 2006
    What a great idea, thanks. The new D* HD receiver is sitting right next to an old VCR. I am going to try it tomorrow.

16. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    The receiver is in my basement theater room enclosed closet hooked to the RF modulator and the tv that it is hooked to via coax is on my second floor (so really 3rd floor when you include the basement). I bought the modulator from Best Buy some kind of RCA one for like $20 or $25 but you can also use a vcr as stated above. I bought a few RC64R remotes off Ebay for $9.95. Works great

17. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    The DVRs with two tuners only require one coax cable. I just got DirecTV and on my HR24-500 the guy only hooked one coax up to it, I think the HR23 DVRs require two coax cables though.

18. timmmaaayyy2003

timmmaaayyy2003 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2008
    If it was me, I'd go for the modulator. VCR's use a lot more wattage than a modulator and that adds up over time.

19. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    No the HR23s are capable of single wire (one coaxial cable run to it) for two tuner operation as well when used in a SWM install. As are all the HRxxs series models for that matter.

And actually in a non-SWM legacy install the HR24s are less capable in one regard than the HR23s where even though they both require two cable runs to their inputs to use both tuners, the HR24 needs B-Band converters (BBCs) on its inputs whereas the HR23s have wide band tuners and does not need any BBCs.

20. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    SWM? I thought that means "single wire multiswitch". I thought your HR24's will only need one cable connected so you then have 3 available left.