1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

installer just told me something weird with MRV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by DrummerBoy523, Aug 19, 2010.

1. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    oh, and he used the term "MRV"...

He said that I should NEVER chose the network option "CONNECT NOW". He went into the NETWORK options and chose RESET DEFAULT and then he rebooted the boxes. Said that I shouldn't chose the "CONNECT NOW" option - that I should just let the boxes do it.

Is this right (I don't think so)??

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Everyone has their own way to move through the settings, just like with windows.
    I've reset network defaults and then used the connect now without any problems.

3. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    just that he told me it would mess up the WHDVR/MRV. I highly doubt it would do that but if so, that might be the reason I was having troubles???

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    :shrug: it never has here, in over a year. :shrug:

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The installer is wrong. Maybe it messes up something for him once, or he thought it did.

6. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    that is what I thought too, but I just let it go...

we troubleshooted my MRV issues, but I really dont think we got anywhere.

thanks.

7. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    The only way that would be an issue is if the unused ports were not terminated (with)caps.
    If your have singal loss issue's either your dish is not aligned or Trees are in the way.

Make sure you have Band stop filters on all receivers (NON) Mrv. Go to each Mrv receiver and rename them (one at a time) Example LivingROOM Change to LR and update name -then red button reset -while it's resetiing-go to the next MRV reveiver and rename (update name) and red button reset.
    If your wiring is all terminated with caps and BSF filters the mrv should work after the above is applied.

8. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    With all the discussion of static and DHCP, I tested static with forwarded ports last night just to see if works either way. Both methods work here with no issues. DHCP is the easiest method and for installers, it's much quicker.

Sorry to say that the installer will most likely be unable to troubleshoot an issue on a 8 or 24 hour interval. Hopefully this forum can help with such issues.

I can remember Directv has at times introduced beta code for MRV that created very similar flagging of shared devices in the UPL pool. It would be there for a release or two and go away and come back later. This was with most testers using ETHERNET. Maybe Directv was thinking the supported MRV setups would not have the issue? And I also wonder if maybe the next f/w release would remove this flagging of shared devices again?

9. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    this was already done - I actually thought I was in another thread when I posted this. Thanks anyway.

10. av8rdude

av8rdude Mentor

Aug 15, 2007
    OK after less than 24 hours my HR24's (2) and H24 can no longer see each other on ethernet.

So now I know it is something on my network or the router itself. I'm willing to buy a new router to test this theory. I wish this problem was instantaneous so i could disconnect everything on the network and slowly introduce items one at a time :(

Any suggestions on where to go now with trouble shooting?

I have static IP's and ports forwarded to each box for the network services. I believe I will kill all my media streaming and desktop sharing apps like windows media player, playon, homepipe, gmote, tightvnc, teamviewer, etc.

Wow this is not fun anymore.

Scott

11. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    this really isn't the right thread - but you and I have been discussing this in another thread so I will go ahead and post here. Do you have a switch by any chance? I just installed a switch in between my BB DECA and my router. I don't know if it will help - but it will isolate the DECA network and just pass internet traffic to my router (hopefully). I still have my home office desktop wired directly to the router in case it was causing the problems. Anyway, just a thought... I got a TrendNet gigabit switch on newegg for $20 and free shipping. Worth it to try it out..