1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installers, question for you!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gio12, Jun 27, 2012.

1. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Had a HR34 installed yesterday and the installer was having issues with getting a good signal sink could get activated. After a bunch of realignments and a waiver I was up and running.

Today I go back where the dish is today and the installer cut the single cable coming form my dish to the house and coupled it back together. WTF would he did this? I had a continuous run to my splitter before this. Why would he do this? I might just call DIRECTV and have them correct the issue. He claimed unneeded a new dish because of signal issues but did not have one to replace it.

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    My guess! He was on the roof did not have a jumper-Cut the cable -put in a 2way splitter and re-ditered the dish.

Report and see what happens?

3. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    A "pigtail" is actually required on a KAKU system if its not there it could fail a quality check. Reasoning is that once the lnb is seated in the arm and peaked taking it out it may not get back in the same location as when peaked. Most QC's ignore this but calling will not do nothing because it is required by DTV to be done that way.

4. ZandarKoad

ZandarKoad Mentor

Oct 25, 2009
    I agree, it is most likely required by in house DirecTV techs to do it that way, as I've seen it on so many installs. The funny thing is, Dish Network techs will faill a QC and be backcharged the whole job if they leave a barrel in the line outside like that.

:rolleyes:

5. Mcmiller519

Mcmiller519 AllStar

Oct 15, 2010
    Technically us directv installers are supposed to run a jumper from the ground block back up to the dish then re peak

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right, this is a DirecTV requirement. The F81 connector should be weatherproof with booties

7. MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    from all that you are saying your dish probably isnt aligned right unless there was inclement weather when he was activating.

He put the barrel in there probably because he got tired of popping the lnb on and off to repeak.

He got a waiver either because the signal strength didn't meet directv's standard or your account was once configured for the 119 satellite but you no longer need it and he put in a swim3 (rare but does happen).

I would check your transponders on the 99/103c (a or b doesn't matter) on a clear day. To pass the iv test none can be lower than ~86 (location dependant), but some a little lower shouldn't be a big deal, but if you got some <80, then thats not good

8. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    One sat was one digit down for passing DIRECTV's standards. Once called in, it was approved. So if it was 86, I got a 85 reading. He tired to align it for over 40 min.

9. MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    ah thats nothing to worry about then, i bet the reflector got bent ever so slightly at some point

10. dielray

dielray Legend

Aug 5, 2009
    A pigtail is required on any Ka/Ku that uses bolts to hold the LNB in place for the reason West stated.

If your Ka/Ku has a lever to hold the LNB in place, it is against DirecTV's rules to have a splice before the ground block.

Edit: A quick look back at some documents shows that although the quick release does not require pigtails, the lnb cannot be removed after fine tuning. The same document allows for a break in the coax.

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've got yet to see an installer that knows how to ground a system. Here in NJ.

Rich