Installing 3 Hoppers

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by kaliber50, Oct 18, 2014.

1. kaliber50

kaliber50 New Member

Oct 18, 2014
    NYC
    Hi folks,

I am interested in some guidance in installing 3 Hoppers to my existing configuration. I currently have three working VIP-722k's and would like to switch them out for the 3 Hoppers. As opposed to the two RGC6 connections on the back of the VIP-722s, the Hopper only has one. Currently, I have 3 RGC6 cables coming from the LNB which goes to the splitters of each VIP-722k. So the fact that the Hopper just have the one RGC6 connection in the back as opposed to the two in the back of the VIP-722k, would that impede the Hoppers from working? Just asking because I connected each of the RGC cables from the LNB without the splitters directly to the Hoppers and none of them are showing any channels. Could just be that I need to activate the Hoppers with Dish Network but just need to make sure before calling them so they don't tell me I need a tech onsite to troubleshoot or some other lame excuse to milk me for money. And I thank you in advance for any info you may want to share with me regarding my questions.

2. BeckiB@Dish Network

BeckiB@Dish Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    The Hoppers are set up differently from the 722s. There is only one cable coming from the satellite to each Hopper to the SAT IN location on the back of the receiver. Do you have the Hoppers connected now? Are you getting an error message?

1 person likes this.
  3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Do you have nodes? The Hopper system requires a solo (one Hopper) or duo (two Hopper) node between the satellite dish and the Hopper. The solo requires two dedicated inputs from a DPP LNB, the duo requires three. Three Hoppers requires some unsupported wiring ... not as simple as disconnecting a DPP feed from a splitter behind a 722 and connecting it to a Hopper.

1 person likes this.
  4. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    For three Hoppers, you'll need a two DPP44s (or a DPP44 and a DPP33,) a Duo Node, and a Solo Node. I have a diagram available if you need it.

1 person likes this.
  5. kaliber50

kaliber50 New Member

Oct 18, 2014
    NYC
    Thank you all for responding. Just found out that these boxes are still registered to the original owner so that's one kink I need to undo with DN before I can proceed with any wiring configuration. And 3HaloODST, I would be very appreciative if you can share that diagram. What I have found online would not satisfy what I am trying to do here. Again, thank you all for being altruistic and I will be back once I sort out the current issue.

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Be sure to have Dish check that they were not leased units instead of owned.