1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing another receiver in cabin behind house...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Sonnie Parker, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Jul 3, 2018 #1 of 11
    Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 29, 2002
    We are building a very small cabin behind our house to gather and watch football, cookout, etc... get a little distance away from the house... about 400-500ft. We have line of sight network connection using an Ubiquiti Nano Station Loco M5 with about 85mbps speed... so it's plenty fast. Or I can run a cable and bury it... just not really sure the best way to get signal to the cabin, which is basically an extension of our home.

Looking for suggestions and if there are any rules on how far we can carry a receiver?

Thanks!

2. Jul 4, 2018 #2 of 11
    dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    It would be easier & cheaper in the long run, to just install a separate dish & receiver at the cabin. If you have a Hopper system in the house, you can easily add a 211 or Wally receiver to your account for $7/month & use it independently of the house.

FlatEarthRealm likes this.
  3. Jul 4, 2018 #3 of 11
    Sonnie Parker

Nov 29, 2002
    Is that permissible by dish... something they allow?

4. Jul 4, 2018 #4 of 11
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you can DIY, just buy a dish WA or EA, depend of location, a reel of RG-6 cable and Wally/211x
    install all parts (or hire local guy)
    call dish and add new receiver to your account, you don't need disclose all info from your first post

5. Jul 4, 2018 #5 of 11
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH specifically sells "tailgater" systems that allow their customers to use one 211 receiver away from their house.
    If you buy your own equipment and can do your own install it should be as simple as adding the 211 to the account.

You didn't describe the system in your home. Do you have a Hopper system? Hopper 3? Will you need a 4K receiver for the cabin? If you have a Hopper the Joeys can run off of an Ethernet connection (no coax required). The network connection would need to be solid (as you stated).

6. Jul 4, 2018 #6 of 11
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    First - you'll need power out in the "cabin" - I'm assuming you're burying with UF cable?
    For network - you might want to look ethernet over power devices.
    You COULD try running a Joey out there over the network, but using a 211 / Wally with it's own Dish would be more reliable.

As long as it's the same mail address - no issues.

7. Jul 4, 2018 #7 of 11
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    keep all STBs on one account is more important

8. Jul 4, 2018 #8 of 11
    Sonnie Parker

Nov 29, 2002
    We have a Hopper 3 (16 tuner system)... with three Joey's in our house now.

We do have power, and it's on the same account and it's the same address. I even called E911 to see if we would need a new address and he stated no, that being as close to our home as it is that it is just an extension of our home... no different than the shops we have behind the house that have power. The TV display we have for the cabin is not 4K.

I may just try one of the Joey's after we get the Nano Station Loco's installed to see if it will work (they include a POE adapter), as that seems like it would be the simplest solution, being that I would not have to install a dish. However, I am not familiar with what is required for the Joey. If the Hopper is connected to our router and on the network and that is all that is required to get the Joey connected, then it should work. I think all of our current Joey's are connected with RG-6 because we already had it ran to where all of our Joey's are located.

9. Jul 4, 2018 #9 of 11
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    As long as everything is on the same IP subnet, it should work fine (i.e. no routers between buildings).

10. Sonnie Parker

Nov 29, 2002
    I suppose I could use an access point at the cabin.

11. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I said no routers between buildings - I said nothing about not using such routers as access points.

When I say "same IP subnet" - I mean that the IPv4 addresses will all start with 192.168.x , where 0<= x <= 255, as long as the same value for x is observed in both buildings.

Sonnie Parker likes this.