1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intelligence in the SWM LNB?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mark44, Dec 30, 2008.

1. mark44

mark44 AllStar

Dec 22, 2008
    In the installation video for the SWM LNB it states that if you connect a receiver to the LNB prior to peaking your antenna aiming, you will not be able to peak your aiming, since the receiver takes the LNB "out of setup mode".
    Can anyone explain this?
    Thanks

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Makes zero sense.
    I've used my receiver to align my dish several times with my SWMLNB & I've started with zero signal.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I think the SWM LNB will output a non-SWM signal if you only hook a meter up to it, and not a receiver. This allows you to align the dish using a regular meter. Once you connect the receiver, the LNB switches into SWM mode and a regular meter will no longer show signal.

I'm not sure, but I would guess if you totally remove power from the LNB, and again set it up using only a meter, that it would again go into alignment mode until a receiver is connected.

With a receiver connected, you can use the signal screens to peak alignment, but not a regular meter at the dish.

4. mark44

mark44 AllStar

Dec 22, 2008
    ahh ha. That makes sense. Thanks!