Interested in Directv!!!!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sendohtheman, Apr 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sendohtheman

sendohtheman New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    I am planning to buy a HDTV (Sony 65XBR2) and was thinking that with HDTV, I should probably also get satellite as well. There are different receivers available for HDTV/Directv and I was wondering which receivers people would recommend. Also I was hoping to get TIVO as well so does that mean I have to get another receiver also? I've been reading up on Directv, Dish, HDTVs, Receivers, and Calibrations, etc, my brains pretty much fried right now and I'm pretty confused so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

sendohtheman

2. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Probably the king of HD Receivers for DirecTV is the DTC-100.

They do not make HD Tivos as of yet (Dish Network is expected to release a HD PVR at the end of the year or early next year) so you would need a seperate Tivo unit but nothing would be in HD.

Welcome to DBStalk.COM :wave:

3. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    While at first glance there appears to be many HD set top boxes, but the Hughes, Philips, Toshiba and Mits boxes are all the same. I believe the RCA and Proscan are also the same and then there a unit by Panny and one by Sony. One recieved complaints of being too noisy and one for being to slow. Can remember which was which though. But the DTC-100 by RCA is no doubt one of the best reviews HD STB for D*.

4. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    In case you weren't aware, you may want to delay your HDTV purchase. Other posts here and elsewhere have pointed out that current sets may soon become obsolete due to copyright protection circuitry requirements. If nothing else, satisfy yourself about the situation before making an uninformed investment...

5. Guest

I've read that, but it doesn't sound quite right.

Likely, newer sets will have a security feature while older sets will be blessed without it.

The same things happened with VCRs. The copyguard feature was added to new equipment, so if you wanted to copy copy-guared tapes you just needed to grab up an old model VCR.

Considering that the 1st generations of HDTV users has created a baseline market, cutting them off would be a major flaw in market logic. You'll end up with nobody watching HDTV programming at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.