Interesting and simple setup...OTA/Diplexer/CCKW...works perfectly

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by tivoreno, Dec 14, 2017.

1. tivoreno

tivoreno AllStar

Jul 26, 2006
    After having my service with DirecTV on hold for six months, I called yesterday to drop my service, having successfully moved on to OTA only with a Tivo Roamio OTA. As expected, DirecTV retention was not willing to let me go without a fight and eventually offered me a financial solution I couldn't turn down. I then proceeded to try to get all my programming working, over a single cable, to 2 DVRs and 2 remote clients of different brands. This is what I came up with and it works perfectly:
    • Outdoor antenna diplexed with sat with a single cable ingress into the basement
    • Diplexer in basement - sat signal to power inserter, then to HR44; Antenna signal to splitter, then to AM21 and Tivo Roamio OTA
    • Genie HR44 connected to router via Ethernet - no DECA
    • Tivo Roamio OTA connected to router via Ethernet - no MOCA
    Both DVRs work perfectly with great signals. Now for my client setup. Since neither my C41 nor my Tivo Mini are wireless, I wondered if I could use an old Wireless Cinema Connection Kit I had laying around as a wireless bridge. Lo and behold, it worked perfectly:
    • CCKW, located at my remote TV, connected to my WiFi using the WPS button
    • CCKW LNB port connected to C41 (the receiver port provided network, but no video)
    • CCKW Ethernet port connected to the Tivo Mini
    Both clients are working perfectly, no audio or video drops outs, no missing frames (i.e. scrolling tickers do not jump). The Genie reports it is connected to Ethernet and that DECA is not connected. The C41 reports it is connected via DECA.

2. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Okay interesting (and maybe I'm missing something), but on the DirecTV side of things, I'm assuming your receiving less OTA channels via the AM21 connected to your DirecTV DVR's than the Roamio correct?

I can still pull in 3 markets on AM21, but since it can't scan, I can't get all the channels available like I was able to do in the past with the HR24's, or with the current THR22 which still scans and gets the rest......

3. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Also, the tuners in the Roamio OTA are very good (much better than the AM21 or other DVR built-ins) that you're likely to see channels that don't scan on a lot of other systems. In fringe reception areas this makes a huge difference.

4. tivoreno

tivoreno AllStar

Jul 26, 2006
    True, though in my area that difference is limited to some sub-channels, a Spanish channel or two, and a low power station which broadcasts CW programming. That one channel though, along with one button commercial skipping for primetime shows, is the main reason to keep the Tivo around. Another reason...after reactivating the Genie after 6 months, it downloaded the new UI. Tivo is like 5 times faster to do anything than this pig.

5. tivoreno

tivoreno AllStar

Jul 26, 2006
    Actually, this was not my experience. I am 8 miles from the towers with good line-of-site. With the AM21 I was able to use an indoor antenna, in my basement, to pull in and record all the OTA channels available to it. When I switched to the Tivo, that same antenna, and two others that I tried, would not provide sufficient signal for several channels. I had to switch to an outdoor antenna. This did surprise me.