Interesting article about the decline of ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by longrider, Dec 10, 2016.

1. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
  2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I think the last time I watched ESPN was a major golf tournament.
    FS1 has NASCAR and NHRA. 218 has the Golfing, 217 Has most of the Tennis, 221 has lots of different types of auto racing, NBCSN has half of the years worth of NASCAR.

Heck there is football on everywhere, college and professional.
    They can say what they want, but for me I see less and less of ESPN.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The lead has been effectively buried... that being, a decline in ratings for lots of channels.

Also, a bit of dis ingenuity going on there too... they cite ESPN as #1 but costing $7+ and cite TNT at #2 but only costing ~$2... except... that cost for ESPN includes multiple channels... and you can't just get TNT by itself. You have to get the entire "Turner" package from them... so you'd have to count TNT/TBS/CNN/TruTV and a few others together to actually count the entire cost associated.

KyL416 likes this.
  4. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    It's been known for a decade or two that E$PN is the most expensive non-premium channel, and every package except for the most basic ones carry it. A good chunk of that money goes to purchasing the $ports rights including NFL Monday Night Football. Second highest is the Regional $ports Networks.

As for why ratings is down.... dunno.... maybe people are getting fed up with the signal-to-noise ratios, with noise being excessive advertising, repeated content, junk contents, and such, and people having more alternatives to content nowadays compared to five, ten, and twenty years ago. I know that, due to my shift schedule (5:30 PM to 2:30 AM Pacific Time) and working mucho overtime, the amount of TV viewing for me has gone down... to zero. And, before someone says something involving the letters Dee, Veee, and Arrrrrrggggghhhhh, I have that, but one still has to turn around and WATCH the programs. I literally been waking up, driving to work, working until 4:30-5:30 AM, going home, and headed straight to bed, with no side trip to the television.

5. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    ESPN continues to lose subscribers at a 2M a year clip. And that may accelerate, given ESPN's explicit recent embrace of fringe political views.

So you would think that ESPN would accept less than its current 7.50 a month per sub as its carriage agreements lapse.

But you'd be wrong. ESPN has ever higher fixed costs (result of TV contracts with sports leagues) and fewer subscribers to spread that expense. So the fewer ESPN subs will have to live with ever higher monthly charges. ESPN has in the past increased its monthly fees 5% per year. A few months ago, it announced that it would seek 6% annual hikes

Meanwhile the CPI increased 1.8% over the past twelve months

Disney May Play Hardball With Altice Amid ESPN Woes

Altice entered the U.S. market after purchasing Cablevision Systems in 2016 and Suddenlink in 2015. Its U.S. operations, Altice USA (ATUS), is the fourth-biggest U.S. cable TV company, behind Comcast (CMCSA), Charter Communications (CHTR) and Atlanta-based Cox Communications.

"Driven by accelerating subscriber losses we would not be surprised if Disney is being ultra-aggressive in its ongoing negotiations with Altice for renewal of carriage of (broadcaster) ABC, ESPN and the rest of its cable networks," said Jeffrey Wlodarczak, analyst at Pivotal Research, said in a note to clients.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You're cherry picking the data. Since ESPN is on the lowest tier of pretty much every cable/satellite package... the only way most people drop ESPN is by dropping payTV... and that is what is really happening here. Not people cancelling ESPN... but cancelling pay TV entirely. We still have a screwed up economy with a lot of people unemployed or underemployed or underpaid... and most of us just don't have the income we used to have to afford anything like we used to... so what might appear to be affecting ESPN is really affecting a lot of companies, losing customers because nobody can afford anything they sell anymore. It's less about whether the product is still good or even worth what they are asking and more about how none of us have enough money anymore!

KyL416 likes this.
  7. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I have the DirecTV SELECT package now. No E$PN, no Regional $port$ Network$. Those are the most expensive non-premium networks. If I could, I would drop pay television entirely as I have almost no time to watch due to my "unusual" work schedule. But, my mother insists as part of the rental agreement.

And, after this past weekend, profe$$ional $ports can go to BLEEP!!!!

8. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    There are also many recent college grads, many with good jobs, that just refuse to subscribe to PayTv. Most are not sports fans, so they will not miss the live sports programming that only PayTv can deliver

9. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    ESPN made a fundamental mistake. It created a massive NBA talking about machine. And then Fox, wisely, fooled it into believing it was interested in the NBA, and ESPN just panicked. Spent BILLIONS on a sport that is JUST NOT THAT POPULAR. Massive overbid. Which raised the costs of ESPN so high that people sought ESPN free alternatives.

ESPN then "lobotomized" itself about most all other sports. It really eliminated most people that can talk about anything besides the NBA. There is nothing there, other than games, for the 95% of Americans, and the 80% of sports fans, who do not follow the NBA.

As to politics, I post on plenty of boards on several topics that interest me (none political) and find that, if permitted by the moderators, all of my different self-selected groups brought together by a common interest not politics related can and are having a thoughtful discussion of these issues. However ESPN cannot, because ESPN, especially its younger crew (most of whom come from elite backgrounds) has a condecending attitude that no opinions different from their own have merit.