1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting blog on loving your technology

Discussion in 'The OT' started by hdtvfan0001, Sep 26, 2012.

1. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
  2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Well, that was 30 seconds of my life I'll never get back. The piece was poorly written, rife with grammatical/usage/spelling errors, and what the hell is "sub-planted"? Seriously, what is that? How about 'supplanted'?
    Lust? I don't think so -- it's just another word for chronic OCD.

I'll bet there's even an app for that!

3. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    WOW - that doesn't even sound like the same blog piece I read.

I also didn't see "grammatical/usage/spelling errors" of any consequence.

After I read it, I decided to pass it on via e-mail (link) to 6 other friends. They loved it! All but 1 of them provided feedback that it was "one of the best pieces they've ever read on this topic", and agreed with the author on all key points.

I'd also have to agree with their choice of term "Lust" - it truly fits what I've seen to a key. The term OCD isn't a strong enough description IMHO.

Different strokes. That's OK of course.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    How could you miss "sub-planted"? The guy writes a blog and doesn't have a spell checker?...... :nono2:

Rich

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Damn. My spellchecker passed "sub-planted" too.... :lol:

Rich

6. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Interesting.

For giggles...I just copied the whole blog post into Word here (Office 2010), and that word passed the dictionary as acceptable.

For further giggles, "I just ran sub-planted" through 5 different online spell checkers (by the way spell-checkers was also acceptable :D). On 3 it passed on 2 it recommended omitting the hyphen.

I guess English is as funny language in the eyes of the beholder. :lol:

I still like the piece.

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have a feeling that any two words or a prefix (such as "sub") with a hyphen between them will usually pass most spellcheckers. For all I know sub-plant is a method of gardening... :lol:

Sub-spellchecker. Passed. Sub-table. Passed. Sub-crap. Passed. See what I mean? Sub-sub. Passed. Sub-mint. Passed. And on and on. A weakness in spellcheckers exposed?

Rich

8. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Perhaps Rich...wonder if you'll get a finder's fee. :D ;)

Going back to the topic...I re-read the piece and also got a few more PMs on it.

The feedback that I received so far was directly proportional to agreeing or disagreeing with the blog viewpoint itself - score of 14 to 2 so far in liking it.

9. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Well, there were many, many grammatical errors.

I also don't think it's that earth shattering of a notion to claim that people are using their smartphones a lot, tablets are replacing laptops on airplanes, and younger people use these items more than older people.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Rather get a cut from Thermaltake... :lol:

I didn't dislike the article, agreed with it, I did.

Rich

11. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Sorry....not to pick nits...but I just don't see those "many, many" items nor did many others I know who read the piece. :shrug:

12. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I found 10 grammatical or punctuation errors with just a quick glance. I guess it depend on your definition of many, many.

13. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    OK.

I found 0.

I guess it depends on your definition of error. :D :lol:

Textbook language delivery doesn't seem to be required for blog posts, at least not from what I've seen across the world wide web.

14. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Zero? Seriously? Not even this one in the second sentence:

As a regular traveler, I have the opportunity to observe people use their mobile devices

hint: it should be using

Blog post or not, acceptable or not, they're still errors - and there's at least 9 more.

15. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Hint: Either way is acceptable in the current context.

One could also say it a variety of other ways.

...observe people while using....
    ...observe people that use....
    ...etc. etc.

....and after all that intense over-analysis....it's just a blog.

I'm mostly interested in the views, observations, and points of the piece...and it's spot on.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Doesn't seem to be required in newspaper articles anymore either. The younger the writer, the worse it is. Used to be an error in the NY Daily News was an anomaly, now it's normal.

Rich

17. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Good observation Rich.

The use of language always evolves anyway, and the launch of the social media generation has accelerated the process.

I read all sorts of blogs, paper-based publications, periodicals, trade publications, journals, and other communication channels daily...and the common denominator is just as you described - less stringent verbiage structures that just a few years ago.

Circling back to the original post...this was just meant to share an intriguing topic. It was one of those topics that people might agree with or might not - either way...an interesting read.

Analyzing the blog writer's choice of words rather than the content seems to be quite fruitless.

18. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Subplanted: adj, 1) Planting below ground. 2) Planted by the submarine. 3) Planted at Subway.

19. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    :D

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Oh, the guy's right. Been to NYC recently? Nobody looks up from their phones. Don't know how they cross streets. It's like being surrounded by Zombies.

About the "lust" part: My heart filled with lust for a tablet, right now I'm lusting after a Sammy III. It's not just younger generations, it's infecting everyone. I almost bought a Sammy tablet yesterday, but I overcame that particular bout with lust.

Rich