1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting demolition technique

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dpeters11, Jan 17, 2013.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Very clean and effective in a small area, just not as exciting as a big boom.

I've seen similar techniques for construction of a building.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20130108f1.html

2. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
  3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    See all that dust, Charlie? If the buildings were built prior to a certain date, they undoubtedly had asbestos all over the place. Contractors do try the remove it all before imploding or just chewing up a building. But, how do you remove the asbestos from the cement used in the building's construction? Until a certain date, and for the life of me I don't remember when it was, asbestos was used in cement as a "binder". In that case, those dust clouds would be toxic. Remember all those folks who flocked to Ground Zero after the Twin Towers came down? A whole lot of them have died or are in the process of dying from exposure to the toxic substances caused by the towers coming down. I think the Twin Towers were built before the new asbestos regs were formulated. Looks like the Japanese have come up with a way to demolish buildings without anything but minor toxic releases. Good for them.

Rich

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And not only that, you don't have to worry at all about nearby buildings, close streets etc. It's a very safe, non-destructive (other than the building being torn down) way to do it.

Very efficient. I like watching an implosion as much as the next guy, but what they are doing makes a lot of sense.

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've done some demolition work and what they are doing is what we should be doing. But I do like to see the buildings get blown up, too. Just don't want to be near any of those dust clouds.

Rich

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    ...there's this building in China -- something about the foundation not being quite up to code, or mebbe it's cuz there's no code at all.

Attached Files:

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I wonder if this is (was) one of those 'fast' buildings they are doing in China (like a 30-story hotel completed in 15 days).

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's horrible. Another instance of China going too far too fast. Was anyone in that building when it went over?

Rich

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ