1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interference between THR22s?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by w0x0f, Jul 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. w0x0f

w0x0f New Member

Jul 13, 2018
    We have two THR22s in our condo in a largish (50 unit) high-rise condo building, connected with a splitter (a DirecTV "green badge" splitter) from the main building drop. There are a series of utlity closets that have the muxes to which only the building maintainers have acces. It's been working this was for about 4 years. We had the same units in a house for a couple of years before that.

A couple of days ago, we started to have signal quality problems, and eventually total loss of signal on some transponders on both units. Others in the building do not seem to be affected.

Doing some simple troubleshooting, it seems that the signal loss only occurs when both THR22s are connected to the splitter. Removing either allows the other to get great signals (almost all 90+). Both units fail, and both units work correctly when connected singly.

I got a new splitter (just in case) and the units pass or fail the same way. I happened to get a four-port, and tried putting both units on the non-power pass ports; same results.

The local installers are, I believe, not well-trained; they state with some certainty that you can't have two receivers off one drop on a splitter: that somehow the control signals would have to go through the power-pass port. That's nuts, of course, but that's who has the contract to maintain the building.

Any ideas on this? When I disconnect the cable from one unit for a while (several hours) and then reconnect it, both units will work for a while (a couple of hours), and then degrade until the LOS.

We really prefer the TiVo interface so we are hesitant to switch to Genie; DirecTV is subsidized so moving to cable is a lot more expensive.

Thanks!

2. w0x0f

w0x0f New Member

Jul 13, 2018
    There is more information. After a few hours, even with only one unit connected through a splitter, that unit started to have signal failure. Connecting directly (no splitter) seems to cure it.

When I write "loss of signal", it's binary: either a transponder is 0, or it's 90+.

3. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    Perhaps I'm misremembering, but it was my understanding that splitters work only with SWM and not with a separate switch (maybe what you are calling muxes). I'd suggest you ask about this on one of the "main" forum sections as you're more likely to get knowledgeable help there. The symptom you describe sounds a lot to me like switch collision. That you say it has been working for four years is interesting, but maybe one of the channels changed to a different sat or polarity.

4. w0x0f

w0x0f New Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Thanks for the reply!

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The signal fluctuation can be from the LNB at the dish and can be caused by a loose or corroded connection in the coax cable.

6. w0x0f

w0x0f New Member

Jul 13, 2018
    I would generally agree; however, we appear to be the only people in the building (50+ units) with the problem.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You have a unique coax ran to your receivers. Check those connections.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I just replied in your other thread but a couple more things... can you explain all the wiring coming into your unit and how it goes to each room? Is it one wire or two into your unit? And is it swim system for sure? Check settings..

I still think my first guess in the other thread is most logical...