1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intermittent 771 - Need Advice

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by billgrayny, Oct 20, 2018.

1. billgrayny

billgrayny Legend

Jan 20, 2007
    Ithaca, NY
    For about 10 months I have been getting intermittent error 771 - loss of signal on some (but not all) satellites. It was last winter when it first started and I blamed some snow in the dish, but then I got the issue later on with no snow or precipitation of any sort.

At one point I was doing a signal strength test when I watched a signal go from 0 to 97 in one pass through the 103 spot beams. The transponder that jumped carries some of my "local" stations. Over the summer and into the fall I have observed this:

1. At times, when I do satellite setup I have received big RED Xs on both Even and Odd transponders for both the 99 and 103 satellites. Then the issue clears.

2. More recently, I pretty consistently have a RED X on only the 103 Even transponders. Yesterday I had this and sure enough all even transponders for all 103 (Ca, Cb and Spot) were 0 signal.

Right now all is well.

So it seems pretty clear to me I have a hardware issue somewhere in the chain, and I am looking for advice on what it may be. I am reluctant to call for service since the issue is intermittent and I am not convinced the service technician will do anything if he shows up and all is well. And since it can change quickly, he might swap something and falsely think the issue is fixed.

So what are the possibilities in your minds?

My setup is HR-44, Power Inserter, SWM 8 to Slimline 5 dish. SWM 8 and dish are on my roof.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I would start by checking all coax connections. Make sure they are secure, not corroded, and that there is sufficient center conductor sticking out to make proper contact. To check you will need to disconnect, inspect, then re-connect. If any connector is questionable, replace it. Once you know all connectors are good, I would look at the SWM8. You may be better off replacing the LNB on your dish with an SWM LNB and ditching the SWM8.

3. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Given that the problem is limited in scope, it could be only a few things:

1) LNB
    2) SWM8
    3) cable from LNB that connects to SWM8's 103/110/119 even input

The simplest solution would be to toss the SWM8, get a new SWM LNB for the dish, and when choosing among the four coaxes going from the roof to the SWM8 (assuming that's inside) don't choose the one connected to the 103/110/119 even since that's potentially suspect, and do the inspection carl6 recommends on the one you do choose.

4. jcwest

jcwest Legend

May 3, 2006
    Not to muddy up the water but the loss of 103 caught my eye.
    For a couple of weeks in the EARLY A.M. I was getting 775 error which was easily cleared by power cycling the 29v power inserter. Reception would be good except for a few channels would give 771 error. Thinking the power inserter was bad I got one from Solid Signal and the next A.M. 775 again.
    Scheduled a truck roll and the tech replaced the LNB and immediately after he finished a thunder boomer blew in and he had to quit the install. When he left there was a red X on both sides of 103 but all the channels worked at the time, signals were from low 80's to 90's. He said they may have to tweak the dish again when the sky cleared up.

With all that said finally got to my question!!
    @ 6:00 This A.M. Genie popped on just like it should and I proceeded to check my Sat. signals and Everything checked 90 to 100 on all sats except 103. 103 showed "0" on all transponders and several channels gave a 771 error.
    After early Mass @ 10:00 A.M. rechecked signals and all transponders on 103 checked in the 90's or above range.

Has anyone seen this swing from 0 signal to 100% on 103 and if so what was the problem?

I've seen several post on this board about flukie things happening with 103. Is there a known problem with this Sat.?

Thanks J C

5. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If it was just 103, then it is a bad LNB. Can't be anything else with a SWM LNB. You must have got unlucky and the new one was bad out of the box.

6. billgrayny

billgrayny Legend

Jan 20, 2007
    Ithaca, NY
    Well Carl, I shotgunned it, since most of this had to be checked up on the roof and at age 72.5 it seems like the pitch of my roof gets steeper each time I go up there. Actually I can't remember when I last was up on the roof.

Long story, short - last weekend I checked the few connections I could from the ground, starting from the HR44 and working my way outside the wall to where the single cable from the SWM-8 enters the house via a ground block. All was well with these connections. So I decided I would minimize the variables, and ditch the old SWM-8 by going to a SWM LNB. I ordered an SL5 and installed it today. Before the change I still had 2 of my locals dead with 771 error (the even transponders on the 103 bird).

After the SL5 install, all is healthy again and my signal levels are higher than they were prior to the change. So I am happy (and my wife is too!!). I don't know if it was the SWM-8 or the old LNB or even a cable, but I don't really care. I suspect a connection on the SWM-8. The connection for the 103/110/119 13V/22KHz port shows signs of bad arcing (as did the coax from this port). But did the arcing occur due to a bad connection or a fault in the SWM-8 that raised the voltage? (really a rhetorical question at this point since I am ditching the SWM-8 and no longer using the cable that was connected to this port).

Thank you (and my nagging wife) for spurring me into action. After the climb today I guess I will call the service tech if I have future issues. Not as young as I used to be.

Bill

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Know the feeling Bill. Got a year on you, and it seems there is something about 72+ my body just doesn't seem to like. Now I know I haven't changed a bit, and am just as strong and healthy as ever. But somehow the ladder gets taller and the roof gets steeper every time I set it up. ;)

Glad you got it fixed.

8. jcwest

jcwest Legend

May 3, 2006
    Update:
    Second installer came and said SWiM 16 is failing. Removed it and installed a SWiM LNB, reset all boxes to new configuration and there has been NO errors on any of my 3 boxes yet.

J C