Internal hard drives.

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Bista-Buster, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bista-Buster

Bista-Buster Legend

Apr 15, 2006
    This is, more or less, a hack question. Nothing to do about altering services or the such. All this is about is whether or not you can change the internal hard drive that may be the size of, say 250 GB and you want to change it to a 500 GB only to give you more internal recording space.

I know that external drives are also possible, just wondering about the internal one.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Not possible.

3. jdeitchler

jdeitchler Mentor

Oct 10, 2005
    I have a replacement 622 that DISH provided me to exchange for my existing one with a defective HDMI port. I am not too interested in losing content on my existing 622, or rebuilding timers, or my search history.
    Has anyone tried to just flip flop the internal hard drives around and then call in to activate the new box with the "old" hard drive?

4. jdeitchler

jdeitchler Mentor

Oct 10, 2005
    Perhaps a better question is...
    Is the receiverID information on the internal HDD?
    Is the intelligence for the HDMI port to work on the internal HDD?

5. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    I've read that the data on the hard drive is encrypted to the serial number of the reciever so swapping internal hard drives is not possible. If you really want your content off the reciever get the external hard drive setup and transfer it off. Unfortunately this doesn't (yet) help you with timers, favorites, etc. but it's better than losing everything IMO.

6. wje

wje Godfather

Mar 8, 2006
    New England
    The drive is registered to the receiver; a swap is not possible. I have confirmed this.:) Quite annoying; if you have to replace your 622 because of a non-disk failure, you lose everything. One of the few nice things about the old D* HR10-250 was that you could just swap disks.

7. jdeitchler

jdeitchler Mentor

Oct 10, 2005
    Thanks for the response. You have saved me a great deal of time and loss prevention of several small phillips headed screws.

WJE- Sorry you had to learn the hard way. At least, you have saved someone else from going through the experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.