Internal temp.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vfviola, Oct 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Oct 3, 2009 #1 of 11
    vfviola

vfviola AllStar

Jul 18, 2009
    I keep my HR21-200 in a media enclosure below my tv. There are cut outs in the back for wiring obviously. What should the internal temp. of the receiver be during use? The reading shows it getting as high 137F. Will this cause any undesirable usage? Not really sure if a small fan is needed to maintain a certain temp. setting. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Oct 3, 2009 #2 of 11
    Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Typically they run a tad hot and around 118-128 degrees.

Given that you have it in an enclosure it might very well become an issue. There are several venting options; at least one of which you should incoporate in your sistuation. Having a fresh air flow and expelling the heat will serve you well not just for the directv receiver, but any component that build heat such as an A/V receiver etc.

Just as a computer when heat takes it's toll, your audio/video equipment can become unstalble delivering quirky at best functionality.

It is fairly easy to impliment a veting system with 2 small whisper quiet fans. One expelling the heat from the cabinet, while the other pulling in fresh air into the enclosure.

3. Oct 3, 2009 #3 of 11
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    That's too toasty. Best to keep it under ~125ºF. You might consider a small USB-powered laptop fan to boost the air flow.

4. Oct 3, 2009 #4 of 11
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Start be raising the unit an inch and see what happens.

My HR20 is at 100 right now.
    The HR23 is at 111, but it sits on top of the HR20.
    Both are raised about an inch.

5. Oct 4, 2009 #5 of 11
    Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Again he stated it was in an "enclosure". It would better suit his application to get an even air flow exchange with 2 fans as I described; rather then just moving the hot air around inside the cabinet itself with a usb fan application.

Even better would be to do both methods and incoporate the USB fan along with enclosure venting as this would draw the heat out of the receiver at a faster rate.

Both methods are relatively cheap to accomplish; I might add.

6. Oct 4, 2009 #6 of 11
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    BTW, my units are also in an enclosure, though the back is partially open.

7. Oct 4, 2009 #7 of 11
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    My HR20-700 sits in an enclosure with an open front. Temperature was running about 125 degrees. The shelf is movable; I moved the unit forward about an inch and the temperature dropped to 119. I presume that's better, but I haven't had any real problems with the unit in over two years.

8. vfviola

vfviola AllStar

Jul 18, 2009
    I moved the dvr to the top shelf away from my a/v receiver and my temp. now tops out at 125. Much better than the previous 130's I was getting. Thanks for all the input.

9. kude

kude Cool Member

Dec 28, 2007
    My HR20/700 started making an extremely annoying high speed fan grinding/hard drive grinding type noise. The unit is not usable with this very annoying sound.

I checked the internal temperature, and it reads 32 F. This can't be right. Is the unit toast?

I am using an external hard drive, as the internal seemed to malfunction a long time ago.

10. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    The temperature sensor is on the internal hard drive. It sounds like it died, and so did the ability to sense temperature.

11. kude

kude Cool Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I am sitting here and the I pretty much think it is the internal hard drive. It cycled off for a glorious minute and then restarted. I've never heard a hard drive go that noisy before.

I thought an external hard drive disabled the internal drive. There really is no reason for it to be cycling like it is.

My last software version is 0x368 on Thu 10/29 2:44a.

I reset the receiver, golden silence for a moment. A brief cycle up of the internal hard drive, silence again. Waiting.. Receiver self check and still silent, checking satellite settings step 1 and still silent...step 2 0% silence... 8% damn hard drive noise started up again, back to silence...100% silence....holding silent....three minutes brief cycle up....back to silence...holding...

Intermittently cycles up. PITA