1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet connection necessary?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jswatzell, Dec 4, 2012.

1. jswatzell

jswatzell New Member

Dec 3, 2012
    I had another 211 connected today. Afterwards the tech asked if I have internet connected to any receiver. I don't so he said it's required for some reason and wants to come back tomorrow to make the connection. I've had dish for sometime now and all receivers work fine. I prefer not to have internet connected to prevent inadvertent ordering of ppv by grandson or someone. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? If I let him make the connection can I simply disable it after he leaves?

2. gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    Connecting receivers to the internet gets us installers bonus money. The receiver needs to stay connected for a week after the appointment to count. You could always just put a password requirement on the PPV stuff to prevent accidental ordering instead of disabling the internet connection.

3. Jason S@dish

Jason S@dish DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 2, 2012
    Also the internet connection also allows us at DISH to check the health of the set top box. It can make troubleshooting 100% easier and quicker for both you and us. You can add the locks to the PPV through the receiver, or you can contact us and we can adjust the PPV limit to $0 so anything that is ordered has to be done over the phone with a representative.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    And your grandson could still order a few PPVs if you don't watch him... usually you can order at least a couple before the receiver will shut down if it can't report them.

So you really have to watch the young kids and don't let them accidentally order stuff.

5. Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo Legend

Mar 14, 2012
    I do the Lock PPV and Hide Adult options in the menu as a safeguard. I also block out channel 100 as well so a guest does not change options in the Dish account. Of course, someone could still take the time to figure out the four digit password.

I find that having the receiver connected to the Internet drains the Internet speed for some reason.

6. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    Except the majority of agents are retarded or to lazy to check the stb health in tech portal, so even if the customer has it connected to the net the agent would probably still skip checking that.

7. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    They can't require broadband, what if you did not have broadband? A POTS phone line is all that is needed, and only if there are more than one receiver on the account.