1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet/DSL/Wireless Router Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by narrod, Feb 23, 2013.

1. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    I use AT&T DSL, connected to a Westel modem, for internet access with a Linksys wireless router/bridge. I use it for wireless printing, one other notebook computer, DirecTv On Demand and Netflix streaming. It has worked flawlessly for years. A couple of days ago I was attempting to install a Linksys wireless game adapter. Not only did that fail but, most importantly, the router no longer connects to the internet. I can see the connection and it shows it available. It will not connect. I can directly connect to the modem and my internet access is fine. I tried a different Linksys wireless router with the same results. Clearly, in my ignorance, I've screwed something up and at a loss as how to correct it. Online chat with AT&T and Cisco/Linksys didn't help. Calling any all gurus for help in getting me out of this briar patch. Help greatly appreciated.

2. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Can you open your router's home page (usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)?

You might want to try resetting the router to its default settings. Your owners manual will show you how do do this)

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Easiest way to do a reset is a 30-30-30. Hold the reset button in for 30 seconds. While still holding the reset button, disconnect the power for 30 seconds. While still holding the reset button, plug the power back in and continue to hold the reset button for 30 seconds.

- Merg

4. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    I appreciate all the suggestions. So far, none have made a difference. I've tried doing the router setup multiple times with the same result. It stalls and given an error code 321 indicating the ethernet cable is not connected between the router and the modem. I've switched out to three different cables with no change. Changing to a different router didn't help. I'm at a complete loss.

5. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    What is the WAN setting on the router? I think it should be something like 'Automatic' or 'DHCP' and you should be getting an external address, something very different from 192.168.x.x The ATT support should be able to tell you what address you should get -- or it should be close to what your PC directly connected gets.

When I had DSL, I had my ATT modem in 'bridge' or 'transparent' mode and my router WAN setting to PPOE and provided the ATT credentials, generally an email address and phone number or other password.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Where is this error code coming from and what do you mean that you tried the router setup multiple times? Have you performed the steps to reset your router to its default settings like I stated?

- Merg