Internet Providers Coming Out of the Woodwork

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by 1948GG, Jan 15, 2020.

1. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Cord Cutters has an interesting article on all the internet providers that are coming out of the weeds recently: We all know the multiple low orbit sat folks from SpaceX to Amazon and more, but several LTE wireless folks are ramping up, in some cases targeting rural users, and others putting their sites directly on urban/suburban cable users (tmobile plans on both if they can ever get their hands on Sprint and it's wimax frequencies).

I moved to a rural area 4+ years ago and chose a small berg primarily because they had comcast, a choice that beared out as they fielded docsis3.1 and gigabit at the same time as the two nearest BIG cities.

Just in the last month, two wireless LTE providers have started selling wireless broadband at 50Mb/s full duplex (same speed down and up) with no caps at under $70/month. A third and maybe a fourth are not far behind but apparently are lacking equipment supplies, which is a problem with the two current providers that are on 4g/LTE but are both already on 5g but promise much higher speeds (same cost or lower) once they can make the transition. Btw, I can see three towers from my front porch in which 5 major carriers are on (the 4 national plus a regional), so getting a signal even with 5g millimeter frequencies shouldn't be a problem).

So I'm looking at options from my now pretty expensive cable internet (>$150/month unmetered) and wondering like the cord cutter article if the cable folks know what's coming down the road to squash them flat.

2. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    Is this per device or sharable across devices? Right now, I have 2 or 3 laptops, and 2 Apple TVs on my network. 50 mb/sec will probably be enough bandwidth to share. I wouldn't want to have to pay $70 per device.

I've also not looked at whether there is a router that can go from LTE to wifi/ethernet, but I doubt that would be an issue for long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    The wireless gateways are just like a cable modem; multiple rj45 plugs @ gigabit and built in wifi (ac for now, next gen should be wifi6) fed by the dhcp service in the box. How many leases is probably a good question but I'll bet 20+ or user changeable. I've looked hard at the 4g tmobile unit as well as at&t and us cellular, all made by different companies as is the verizon unit that's further out for deployment.

Again, this is all first gen stuff, which tends to explain verizon and indeed everyone else being a bit cautious rolling out, but when they start bombarding one with direct mail offers (I get at least one a week from comcast and I've been at my current address as a subscriber for 4 years!) somebody somewhere in those companies is hot to trot to get a jump on the competition.

At 50Mb/s one should be able to stream 4+ hd at least, but until one jumps on the wagon you won't know for sure. But the companies are saying 200Mb/s once they transition to 5g, if that's a comfort.

4. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    This is all good news for consumers. The more competitors/options their are in this space the more downward pressure will be placed on prices.

grover517 and Rich like this.
  5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yeah, I read that piece in Cord Cutters. Other than the low orbit sats, I'm not filled with hope for rural service. They write about Starry which i never heard of. So I looked them up. Here's their service areas as of now:

[​IMG]
    Hey, they are serving Denver-Aurora-Lakewood Metropolitan Statistical Area with its meager concentration of 3 million people. So who knows, maybe someday here in Mendocino County with its less than a hundred thousand folks spread over a huge area we'll see them.

This is what I call cherry-picking in the ISP business. You can install a minimum of equipment in already-served high density population areas, offer less expensive service and start making money.

Here in Mendocino County AT&T never offered even medium speed service and is effectively abandoning rural people dependent upon landline phone service - they are dependant because nobody including AT&T has built cell towers.

As I said in another thread Elon Musk's SpaceX, Richard Branson's OneWeb, and Jeff Bezos' Kuiper low orbit satellite plans seem doable. And they would really benefit rural areas.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd like to see what Amazon will come up with. They seem to do damn near everything well.

Rich

phrelin and mjwagner like this.
  7. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    There's been a series of articles on the ground portion of starlink, in that the writer seems to think these sat folks need to get rolling fast I that. But I have three major uplink facilities in a 120 mile radius of where I live, and all have been installing spacex equipment for at least 6 months now, so I'd say they'll be ready.

As far as the cell folks, maybe much more of a reach, but even though I'm out in the country I have three towers supplying all 4 national and one regional carrier, all within 1 mile of my front door. So that's a bit closer than most folks, this in a town of ~5000. Dispite looking high and low, I've only got one fuzzy picture of the starlink antenna and nothing of the electronics. But since I paid $1k for that first directv setup in 1994, the same for spacex sounds fine by me as long as I'm the first in line.