Interresting (and meaningless) locals statistic

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by TNGTony, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Interresting locals statistic:

Dish currently has 151 of the 210 local markets available to subscribers.

These 151 markets represent 103,664,020 TV households out of 109,590,170 in the 50 US States. That boils down to 94.595% of the US TV households.

We know of 10 cities Dish plans to add. These 10 cities comprise an additional 855,650 TV households or 0.78% of the total.

Once Dish adds these 10 cities they will serve 104,519,670 Households or 95.375% of the US Households.

The total number of households without Dish Network service now is 5,926,150 or 5.405%.

The number of unserved households after the 10 are added is 5,070,500 or 4.625%

The largest TV market without locals on Dish and no known plans to be added is Baton Rouge. This is market number 96. This market consists of 306,910 TV Households or 0.28% of total US TV households, or 1/3 the size of all 10 new local areas planned by Dish.

The largest TV market planned to be added by Dish soon is Eire PA which is number 142. This market is half the size of Baton Rouge at 158,910 Households, or 0.14% of TV households.

See ya
    Tony

2. NKy.Yall

NKy.Yall Legend

Apr 8, 2004
    N. Kentucky
    I hear ya Tony,and still no WBQC in the Cincinnati DMA,sometimes you just gotta sit back and ponder.

3. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    uh oh...you just touched a nerve

**running for cover** :D

4. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Okay Tony is Beaumont/Pt.Arthur, Texas dma #138 one of the 10 cities being added?

5. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    No. The 10 cities listed in a the October Club Dish Brochoure...

Ooop...2 of those 10 have already been added. So these are the 8 that remain...

Info from http://ekb.dbstalk.com/15

142 Erie, PA
    157 Minot / Bismarck / Dickinson, ND
    170 Billings, MT
    178 Rapid City, SD
    184 Merridian, MS
    188 Great Falls, MT
    191 Twin Falls, ID
    198 Casper / Riverton, WY

See ya
    Tony

6. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    DAMMIT!! Passed over again..:mad:

7. pastorgadget

pastorgadget AllStar

Sep 18, 2004
    My exterior OTA tanked so I ended up "moving" today but I look forward to the day, whenever it may be, that Beaumont/Pt Arthur is added to the locals. When they finally get Beaumont/ PT A, we will know that E* is serious about 100% coverage.

:soapbox:

8. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I would be happy if they just have 100% coverage in Texas alone!!

9. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    100° coverage in Texas is a ways off. Texas has the most markets to add. It also has the most markets available of any state.

Still missing:
    129 Corpus Christi
    138 Beaumont / Port Arthur
    158 Odessa / Midland
    163 Abilene / Sweetwater
    190 Laredo
    196 San Angelo
    205 Victoria

Texas Markets currently available on Dish:

7 Dallas / Ft. Worth
    11 Houston
    37 San Antonio
    54 Austin
    93 Harlingen / Brownsville-McAllen
    95 Waco / Temple / Killeen
    100 El Paso
    111 Tyler / Lufkin / Nocogdoches
    130 Amarillo
    144 Wichita Falls / Lawton, OK
    145 Lubbock
    161 Sherman / Ada, OK

See ya
    Tony

10. James

James AllStar

Sep 2, 2002
    Does E* plan on adding the remainder of the markets with this new Sat. in the sky? Alot of the remainding markets only have one or two stations. Tony, what is the percentage of local (channels, not markets) that are currently up verses The number of channels that have not been launched?

11. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    DISH needs to find a way to add the "small" stations that they are missing in some markets. I do know quite a few people that have NOT bought a DISH system because they didn't carry the local stations that THEY wanted to watch.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    E* is doing better in SuperDish markets, much to the annoyance of Dish500 markets that can't get all of their channels on one dish and, in the case of WBQC, cannot get all of their channels.

WBQC is a mental problem on E*'s part. They have it in their mind that it's not election time (Must Carry vs Consent to Carry) so they cannot add the channel. But they forget that LPs like WBQC cannot vote.

It also appears that the LPs and DTs that have appeared in other markets have more pull than WBQC. In my market the ABC and WB LPs are owned by the same company - a company that also owns large channels in other markets. It is hard to sell locals without key LPs anyways, but making a major broadcaster happy tends to lead to E*'s happyness. The DT.2 in my market is UPN, but it is a sub of the big CBS station in town and is on every cable system. Another make the big guy happy and gain customers decision.

Hopefully E10 will bring the missing LPs on to dish, including WBQC.

JL

13. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    The significant things here are two, IMHO.

One is that the law of diminishing returns has kicked in on this. The costs, in terms of money for equipment and in terms of using limited bandwidth for this programming which necesitates that it will not be used for other things, of providing the remaining locals is just not economically logical. The "roll out" is over.

Two is that, probably by direct corporate decision making, DISH is the system for people in small markets. It has the locals, and DirecTV does not, and probably never will.

14. rocatman

rocatman Icon

Nov 27, 2003
    You are correct about Dish being the system for people in small markets because that was their focus when Dish was first started. Certainly Dish has changed greatly since then but I think their current push for providing HD distant networks in HD white areas is consistent with their initial focus.

15. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    The frustrating thing is that DirecTV carries WBQC not only in Cincinnati, but in Dayton as well! As to the expense of equipment, there was none to Dish had they accepted one of the original offers from the station owner. The expense would have been the bandwidth required on 110°.

Dish finds room for UPN digital sub channels and low power TV stations any time they are forced to by "major" network stations. But the company that prides itself on being the independent "little" satellite company that does battle with the big, bad mega-corps ignores the truly independent little TV stations doing battle with the mega-corps in broadcasting.

WBQC has better ratings in the areas it reaches than the local PBS affiliate. It sometimes has better ratings than the full power WB affiliate. This is a real independent TV station that also programs UPN and Pax shows.

The only reason I haven't switched to DirecTV is because of inertia. And until Dish does add WBQC I tell anyone who is considering satellite to get DirecTV instead of Dish. I do tell them that they can get UPN from Boston or NY, but not UPN25. I've talked several people out of getting Dish just by mentioning this.

See ya
    Tony

16. NoMoRumours

NoMoRumours Mentor

Jan 27, 2004
    So will PA be fully covered after Erie is added?

17. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    There are different ways of looking at this. If there are a lot fewer channels to launch in those market then perhaps there will not as much of a cost increase as one thought in added those markets.

Think about it this way, if the space is already there to add those markets then it would not cost them anymore for having them up there for the space whereas if they had to launch a new satellite to launch the rest of the markets then they would have a lot in getting those markets available to those people.

The thing is if they do add all the markets then they could make the minimum package include the locals for all and get an extra $5 out of those not currently paying for the locals. This would at least make up if not more than make up for the cost of launching a new satellite or leasing one if needed to put up the rest of the markets.

18. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
  19. NoMoRumours

NoMoRumours Mentor

Jan 27, 2004
  20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    One trouble is that E* charges the $5 or $5.99 for locals in markets like LA where subscribers get 21 channels (24 with a 148 dish added) or Charleston, SC where subscribers get the basic 6 (on SuperDish105). And E* is currently forbidden from selling out of market locals that cable can offer. LA people see 21/24 channels for $5 a good deal (and probably are not missing any "extra" channels cable might carry). But Charleston and other small markets? A dollar a channel is steep - and if local cable offers more channels than satellite (because the gross difference in the rules) it is sometimes better not to bother with locals.

If the current SHIVA extension bill passes with "significantly viewed" channels expect some changes in locals. It will make it economically sound to offer the one channel from Lafayette when it is legal to include the rest from Indianapolis.

It isn't just the cost of uplinking a signal and replacing dishes - it is making the service worth buying for the customer.

JL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.