1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro and a couple of questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by vsabre, May 24, 2018.

1. vsabre

vsabre New Member

May 24, 2018
    Long time DTV customer back to the 90's when I dropped my first 80 foot pine tree on the dogs kennel trying to get a clear satellite shot. Dog is okay...Things have certainly changed since that first self-install using walkie-talkies with the bride to hear the signal meter as I adjusted the dish. Older now and I've typically done equipment upgrades through Solid Signal since then just to assure I got the latest equipment.

Ready to move on to a 4K setup and converted over to SWM last year by an excellent MASTEC tech.

Two things that are important:

1) OTA is critical and I have two AM21s installed now and an OTA input already on a H20-100
    2) Internet access is pretty fast over wireless ( no other alternatives) at 50-60mb down but I'm careful about data usage and burn about 50 gig a month. Monitor that usage religiously.....

Current setup ( 3 TVs)

Living room- HR24-500 with AM21 (AVR in place that will not pass 4K as needed, no big deal)
    Bedroom- HR22-100 with AM21 ( Samsung TV is RVU capable, but I want a C61K for 4K here so I don't have to fret about TV updates)
    Study- H20-100 No AM21 needed ( I would place a C61K here as well)

New setup thinking (3 TVs)

Living room- Place the HR54 here ( not a HS17 since it looks like a potential bandwidth hog and other potential issues)
    Bedroom-C61K
    Study-C61K

Now questions:
    1) Can I still handle OTA with my AM21s at least at two of these locations?
    2) With the new SWM setup, is all this now just plug and play?
    3) Is any of the existing equipment helpful in the study, maybe?
    3) What else could I be missing in my thinking?

Sorry to be "that guy", but I did spend quite a bit of time here and just couldn't put all the pieces together in my head for a pretty simple setup.

Thanks for any help before I make the call.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Plugging an AM21 into your HR54 will let you get OTA on all three TVs, but since it is only the one you'll be limited to two OTA channels at once for all recording and live viewing. If that's enough then no problem. If you want to be able to use the other one, maybe instead of the second C61K in the study, keep the HR24 and put it in the study connected to the other AM21.

Everything should be plug & play with SWM, one thing to look out for is that the tech may have (should have) installed a band stop filter somewhere between the splitter and the H20-100. You'll want to remove that when the H20 is removed.

vsabre likes this.
  3. vsabre

vsabre New Member

May 24, 2018
    Thanks, you rock and appreciate the help.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Will you still be getting the equipment from Solid Signal?

If you go to DIRECTV, they will probably try to talk you into the HS17 and also wireless minis. Don't do either.

I don't have the HS17, but I seem to remember it doesn't support the AM21s; so certainly something you don't want since "OTA is critical" to you.

Good luck.

5. vsabre

vsabre New Member

May 24, 2018
    Hilarious, they just did about 5 minutes ago on chat. I specified the HR54 and their best offer was $49.00 for the HR54 and 2 C61ks for a new two year commitment. Included install. I balked and wasn't really expecting too much through chat but figured I'd test the waters. Might not get much more when I do it but I enjoy the process and I'll pick up the phone in the morning to retention.

Thanks!

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Well you are upgrading so I don't think you can get the 2-year commitment waived. And $50 for the HR54, 2 minis and install is a pretty good deal.

7. vsabre

vsabre New Member

May 24, 2018
    Thanks, I appreciate the feedback and perspective. The two-year commitment was the offer from my end for the upgrade and possible additional consideration. Good to know that what he gave me was in the ballpark.

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If you got no deals, here is the 'MSRP' for your upgrade:
    HR54 - $299
    C61K - $99 each
    Install - $99
    So $496 total

In the past, getting install waived when upgrading was common.

I don't know if I've ever read here about anyone getting the 2-year commitment waived when upgrading equipment. And in the past, a long term customer upgrading all equipment, it wasn't unusual to get the equipment free -- even sometimes other incentives (free premium channels, credits, Sunday Ticket, etc).

But overall, $50 plus 2-year contract isn't bad. Especially with AT&T in charge.

Good luck tomorrow.

9. vsabre

vsabre New Member

May 24, 2018
    So called the retention number and got:

1 HR54 and 1 C61K No charge ( I'll move the Hr24 to the study, which is fine)
    Upgrade to Ultimate from the old Xtra-Choice for 12 months, no charge
    NFL Sunday Ticket for 2018 Season-No Charge
    Bill reduced from $158.00/mo. to $101.00/mo. for 12 months. Back to $158.00 for months 13-24 if I keep Ultimate.
    $24.00 installation fee.
    Declined all the additional movie channels for 3 months ( we already have HBO which is all we need) so I didn't have to make another call.

Obviously a couple of things I have to stay on top of like cancelling NFL Sunday Ticket before the 2019 renewal and asking for the discount again in 12 months or just reverting back to a cheaper package similar to where we are now.

They're certainly efforting in the VIP group, and I appreciated it.....