Investors Claim AT&T Created Fake Streaming Service Accounts to Hide Failure

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DirectMan, Sep 16, 2019.

1. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    According to an amended complaint filed last week in Manhattan federal court, AT&T management overreported the number of customers who had signed up for the company's $35-per-month product, leading investors to believe it was well-positioned to compete with cheaper online streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu.

Investors Claim AT&T Created Fake Streaming Service Accounts to Hide Failure | New York Law Journal

2. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007

Same story in Forbes that is readable without registration.

AT&T Sued For Allegedly Creating Fake DirecTV Now Accounts

3. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
  4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It sounds like something that needs to be proven.

SamC likes this.
  5. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
  6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
  7. bbeagle

bbeagle New Member

Oct 11, 2016
    Buffalo, NY
    I don't think as much that there were accounts faked, as many people got the service for the free Apple TV device (or Roku or whatever). The cost of the Apple TV device was more expensive than 3 months of the service, so it was cheaper to just get the DirecTV service. That's what I did. I only tried the service 2 times, both for less than 5 minutes each and decided I didn't want it.

espaeth and lparsons21 like this.
  8. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    If you talk with former employees even at the call centers the fake accounts were a big issue at the time when Live A Little was $35/mo and AT&T was offering the $25 off for 3 months promo. The lawsuit doesn't look good for AT&T and shows their contradictory statements about its launch and current state.

I mean had the service would have worked without the technical issues I probably would have kept the Go Big package with the $25 off for life discount however after the initial 3 month pre-pay for the 4th Gen Apple TV I cancelled it due to the technical issues.

Rich likes this.