1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ios 12 & tvOS 12 (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by bmcleod, Sep 18, 2018.

1. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    I know there are some Apple TV users here, if you have an ATV Gen 4 or ATV 4K you can now update them to tvOS 12. Several new features, but most people are excited about the addition of Dolby Atmos, as well as some really cool new screensaver videos (NASA and others). I’m just exploring it now, and if you have one of these newer ATVs then you can too!

Has anyone else updated? Tried Atmos or any other feature you like?

iOS 12 also released yesterday, I have it on my iPad and iPhone. Nothing startling to me, I like that my iPad Pro 9.7 acts more like my iPhone X, one new feature—Siri Shortcuts—lets you create a custom command to essentially make a macro.
    For instance I could say ‘DBS 12’ and it would open Safari and bring me to this thread.

Here's the Apple promo page for iOS 12
    www.apple.com/ios/ios-12/

Here's a link to the features, more info, less hype
    www.apple.com/ios/ios-12/features/

Here's a list of Apple devices compatible with iOS 12
    iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone X
    iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus
    iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus
    iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus
    iPhone SE
    iPhone 5s
    12.9-inch iPad Pro 2nd generation, 12.9-inch iPad Pro 1st generation
    10.5-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro
    iPad 6th generation, iPad 5th generation
    iPad Air 2, iPad Air
    iPad mini 4, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2
    iPod touch 6th generation
    (this list also at the bottom of the features page)

tvOS 12 is compatible with the Apple TV Gen 4 and Apple TV 4K

Apple’s “How to Update to iOS 12 page”
    support.apple.com/ios/update

iPhone User Guide for iOS 12 (Free in the Apple Bookstore)
    itunes.apple.com/us/book/iphone-user-guide-for-ios-12/id1420662672?mt=11

iPad User Guide for iOS 12 (Free in the Apple Bookstore)
    itunes.apple.com/us/book/ipad-user-guide-for-ios-12/id1420662722?mt=11

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Rich likes this.
  2. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    What Apple TVs can use TVos12? Mine is fairly old, 2nd gen I think.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I copied this from an article if this helps.

This version is compatible will all the same devices as iOS 11, going back to the iPhone 5S.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Apple TV 4 and 4k can use tvos

5. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    The older ATVs can’t support TVOS.

So is this the Apple thread?

6. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    With iOS / tvOS 12 the integration gets tighter, macOS too; I’m happy to discuss all things Apple here. I have a Mac mini as my HTPC, but really it’s just a music server, it can provide an iTunes library to AppleTV which makes a good UI for playing music at parties (did that last night). I also have a USB connection from the mini to my processor for more critical listening, and the ability to play higher and varied bit rates (ATV resamples everything to 16/48). You can control the music playing through either method with Apple’s iOS ‘Remote’ App that runs on iPhone and iPad, and you can remote control the ATV itself through the widget in the iOS control panel (very handy when you actually need to type a password).

For the record there is now a tvOS 12.0.1, and I just read the Amazon Prime Video App now (finally) does 5.1 surround sound on ATV. No Atmos with Prime yet but ATV’s been stuck at stereo so this is a big step.

I also hope everyone’s enjoying the NASA flyover videos taken from the space station. Having lived in California my whole life, both in SoCal and NorCal, I find the ‘flight’ down the west coast and then through Mexico fascinating, but all the space videos are beautiful and are a nice addition to the screensaver collection.

So my wife and I are in deep with Apple: Macs, ATVs, iPads, iPhones, watches, pencils—the integration is very useful and compelling. Oh, a new watchOS (5.0) came out at the same time as iOS 12, it updated last night to 5.0.1.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  7. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    Just thought I’d add that I’ve now upgraded my Mac minis to Mojave, not a huge difference on the Mac, but the integration with iOS is getting tighter. Mine went off without a hitch, however my minis are Late 2012 models, this is about the oldest machines Apple is supporting under Mojave, so if your machine is older than that you’re probably where you should be. One of my minis is my music server and HTPC.

Here’s the compatibility info:
    You can upgrade to macOS Mojave from OS X Mountain Lion or later on any of the following Mac models. Your Mac also needs at least 2GB of memory and 12.5GB of available storage space, or up to 18.5GB of storage space when upgrading from OS X Yosemite or earlier.

MacBook introduced in early 2015 or later
    MacBook Air introduced in mid 2012 or later
    MacBook Pro introduced in mid 2012 or later
    Mac mini introduced in late 2012 or later
    iMac introduced in late 2012 or later
    iMac Pro (all models)
    Mac Pro introduced in late 2013, plus mid-2010 or mid-2012 models with a recommended Metal-capable graphics card.