1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IP access

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by merlinthemagic, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Jan 6, 2011 #1 of 11
    merlinthemagic

merlinthemagic New Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Anyone here got any input on how to control networked receivers / DVRs via IP?

I have seen the remote control stuff using DTV SHEF, but im looking for more advanced access, like signal levels, the ability to pull transponder levels and model number from a receiver we have IP access to.

Is there a different white paper with more information than:

.sbcatest.com/TechUpdates/DTV-MD-0359-DIRECTV%20SHEF%20Public%20Beta%20Command%20Set-V1.0.pdf

Regards,

Martin Madsen

2. Jan 6, 2011 #2 of 11
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Welcome to DBS Talk!
    :welcome_s

Sign up for the Cutting Edge Forum. You'll find more information about IP control there.

3. Jan 6, 2011 #3 of 11
    Chip Moody

Chip Moody Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    You can get the transponder number and signal level of the channel currently being viewed. Model number, not so much.

Not yet/at the moment.

- Chip

4. Jan 6, 2011 #4 of 11
    merlinthemagic

Jan 6, 2011
    is probing the signal level done through the http the same way i.e key presses are done?

Would you be so kind as to point me to a tread or documentation that shows the syntax for getting current transponder and level?

Regards,

Martin Madsen

5. Jan 6, 2011 #5 of 11
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You could make your own servlet using USB-Serial dongle and 0XFA protocol; PDF of those cmds posted here. As example of standalone program you could find at K.Timmerman site 'DTVcontrol".

6. Jan 6, 2011 #6 of 11
    merlinthemagic

Jan 6, 2011
    The issue is that i dont have serial access only ip access.

7. Jan 6, 2011 #7 of 11
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Just install small PC (Atom based) at the DVR and connect it through USB/Serial dongle, write own servlet and use some web server SW (Windows+IIS, Linux+Apache).

8. Jan 6, 2011 #8 of 11
    merlinthemagic

Jan 6, 2011
    I work for a service provider and we are trying to get information on how our signal levels behave for 1000's of customers over time. So we may correct backbone issues before they become customer affecting. MFH2 does not have many good tools for remote management and MFH3 is not a cost effective solution.

The idea is that we have access to all the receivers as we also do the internet for all these units.

this would require quite a few N270 boards :grin:

So i really need a complete list of commands we can probe the receivers with, signal levels are impotent, but so is tuner count as we have issues from time to time with SWM over subscription, because people will add receivers without our knowledge.

Regards,

Martin Madsen

9. Jan 6, 2011 #9 of 11
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I see (you didn't reveal you have 1000s customers). Well, perhaps you'll need go through business support, sign NDA, obtain _internal_ commands per your request ...

10. merlinthemagic

Jan 6, 2011
    We are doing that too, but DTV are slow.

If there are commands known to the community that does not require DTV approval, we can get testing started. Now this will obviously not be production grade before DTV gives their OK and ensure the API will not change significantly. But it will allow us to try out a few concepts.

If anyone out there have the syntax for the transponder levels for current channel or a way of making the receiver run a sat test and return the result that would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Martin Madsen

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    There is a complete thread in the CE section of dbstalk.com that contains the information on IP Control. As litzdog suggested sign up for the Cutting Edge and you'll have access to it.