1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IP control device?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by sigma1914, Dec 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I've really come to love the IP control of the DIRECTV DVR. I'm disabled (as some here know) & making things more accessible in life really helps me. I have a small netbook to access www.waltzremote.com & can run the DVR.

What I'm looking for is the ability to control the rest of my home theater from the netbook. None of my other equipment has IP control. Is there a product out there that is IP controlled but sends out IR commands, kind of a IP controlled universal remote, if you will?

Does this make sense?

2. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
  3. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    I can't suggest specific hardware, but in the past I have purchased home automation stuff from SmartHome.com and HomeTech.com

4. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    URC is coming out with some network based stuff. I know there will be an iPad app but not sure about a regular computer.

Of course Crestron and AMX do have options but are also very expensive.

5. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I totally forgot to mention I can't use iProducts or other touchscreen stuff, unfortunately.

6. John Williams

John Williams Legend

Oct 5, 2011
    What kind of interface do you use/need? Touchscreen is by far the most popular of these new breed of products (ipad, iphone, android phones & tablets, etc...)

Here are some links to companies that are like you mentioned:
    http://www.bitwisecontrols.com/
    http://www.globalcache.com/

7. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I can't use touchscreens due to dexterity; I can use a mouse just fine. I was hoping for a browser or PC interface.

I'm currently looking into the RedEye remote & welcome all suggestions.