iPad is a Laptop... so says the Evil Empire

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Earl Bonovich, May 26, 2010.

1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    The Yankees have decided that the iPad is not allowed in the stadium... because it is a "laptop".

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20005712-71.html

I am curious on why they would even have a ban on laptop's in the first place.

I know the airport security hasn't made up their mind, as when I was leaving Chicago last... I had to scan it individually, when on my way back... the security agent said I could have left the iPad in my bag

2. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    My guess is so that only those with media passes can live blog, write stories, etc from the park. Doesn't make total sense, but that's my guess.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Why don't they just ban people from bringing in cells phones while they're at it ? sheesh...

4. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Just rename it "Steroid" and they'll let it right in! ;)

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Gee, I don't get it.

I posted on another thread:
    I'm not sure how to consider the iPad in terms of being a laptop computer. I guess I'd say:
    Of course, if you take any computer, eliminate all the electronics and add a bunch of metal parts including keys and a ribbon, you could have a typewriter.:rolleyes:

6. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    It has to be all about keeping people from liveblogging. I remember that being a big deal a few years back. I don;t necesarrily agree with banning people updating blogs, but if they are going to do it, they have to draw the line somewhere. They have just decidede somethign pocket sized like the iPhone is OK, but the iPad is too big, even though you can liveblog from an iPhone too. They probably realize there would be a revolt if they banned a cell phone like the iPhone, Droid or any other smartphone, plus it would be darn near impossible to enforce.

7. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Damn! What a great idea! Wish I'd thought of that.

Phrelin, get dressed and meet me down at the patent office!