iPhone 4 -- reserve or take my chances?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Stuart Sweet, Jun 7, 2010.

Best way of getting two iPhone 4's the fastest?

1. pre-order and wait until they show up

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. run from store to store to see if I can get one the first day

100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 7, 2010 #1 of 73
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    OK, here's the question. I want two new iPhone 4s. They say if I pre-order, there's a good chance that I can have my new phones in 7-10 days, but I probably won't get one the first day. On the other hand, if I don't pre-order, I can hit up every at&t location around and possibly find one the first day.

Let's assume that I won't have the time or inclination to sit in front of the at&t store in a beach chair all night.

What should I do?

2. Jun 7, 2010 #2 of 73
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Voted for you to pre-order... A few days is a few days... Who cares... Oh, that's right, your an Apple Fanboy that needs to have it the moment it's released, right? :lol:

- Merg

3. Jun 7, 2010 #3 of 73
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I also voted to pre-order. Waiting a few days is much more desirable than waiting in a line. Had enough long lines in the Army:)

4. Jun 7, 2010 #4 of 73
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Actually this would be the first Apple product I've personally owned since the 128k Mac Plus. I've bought them for companies I've owned and worked for, as well as bought them as gifts.

I think it grossly unfair that a person could pre-order something and still not get it before some person who walks in on a whim.

If nothing else, the pre-orders should be satisfied before retail sales start. If not, why the 1-week gap between pre-order and retail availability.

5. Jun 7, 2010 #5 of 73
    DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Pre order got my vote too.

6. Jun 7, 2010 #6 of 73
    barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Pre order for me as well, times two. It's what I did with the iPad, and I'm glad I did after seeing the lines ( and shortages).

7. Jun 7, 2010 #7 of 73
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Pre-Order and try to get one on the first day.

I did this with the iPad. I managed to get one in the store on the first day then simply canceled the pre-order.

8. Jun 7, 2010 #8 of 73
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'd like to vote... but my vote would actually be "Try to get one in the store, and if they sell out, wait for the next re-stock".

For these kinds of devices I hate to pre-order, because I want to take them home with me.. so I'm usually willing to wait for when I can do that. I don't feel like I have to be the first on the block to have one.

9. Jun 7, 2010 #9 of 73
    elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    I will be going for the third option.....wait 'til the rush is over and buy it at my leisure. :) But make no mistake, I AM getting one!!

10. gdn

gdn AllStar

Aug 5, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Pre-order. I'm thinking the pre-order will or should be handled like the iPad. If you pre-order you will be the first to have it as you are guaranteed to pick it up on day 1. Pre-ordering doesn't mean it will be shipped to you. You should be able to pre-order and note where you want to pick it up during the reservation process - pretty sure that is how the iPad worked - you are ahead of all walk-in's and wait-in-line people. 2 years ago with the 3G - I don't recall having pre-order - I waited in line from the middle of the night before. Skipped the 3GS - I don't need to be that up-to-date, but every couple of years I want to update - this is a pretty big step from the 3G - no video.

11. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    Guess it all depends on where you are and how many AT&T Stores and/or Apple Stores and/or Walmart SuperStores are within easy driving distance of your location.

Personally, if I were going iPhone4 (which I'm not because we just got our 3GS ones when Walmart dropped the prices) I would definitely be a first day person.

But right now, it seems I'm the only one!!!!!!!

12. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I would not go to AT&T but to an Apple store instead. Apple stores seem to have a good stock on release day. AT&T stores around here don't.

13. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Get an Android? :)

14. wolverine1701

wolverine1701 Cool Member

Jun 4, 2004
    You can reserve the iphone and pick it up on the release day. That's what I did last year when I got my 3GS.

15. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, I have no idea how they will do it this time, but when I got my 3G right after release, they took preorders at ATT stores and that was the only way to get one there. They did nothing for walk ins, other than to offer to order one.

Apple stores were a differnt story, but hopefully once the preorder window opens in a few days, you can preorder from Apple online and check your local ATT store to see what they will do. You can always cancel your Apple store order.

16. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Don't have an Apple store anywhere near me, so no go there.

My dilemma is which AT&T store to hit. The one closest to me is also the regional office, so they should have a good stock, but they will have a line (at least they did for 1 and 3G). Or do I try one of the malls? Or do I send my wife to the mall and I try the store. :)

I wish I could pre-order from AT&T and then just go to the store a day or so after launch and pick it up at my leisure.

Edit: Lee I hope my store does pre-orders. I will hit it on the 15th to see.

Plus I hope they have an Otterbox for the new model as it has saved my current phone multiple times.

17. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    It may be pure hokum but the AT&T store guy said the "authorized agents" (in other words, mall salespeople) won't have the iPhone 4 the first day.

18. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    My two local malls have AT&T stores. They are not agents, but just mall versions of the stand-alone stores.

19. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Ah... sorry for misunderstanding. My local malls have nothing but shills and decoys masquerading as cell phone stores.

20. redfiver

redfiver DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Pre-orders can show up on the same day they are available in stores. That happened for the iPad and it happened for previous iPhones as well. Apple coordinates all of this with UPS and they won't deliver until that actual day, even though they hold on to the shipment for a bit to make sure no one gets one early.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.