1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone coupons!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Stewart Vernon, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    To quote Stan from South Park.... I learned something today.

Went to a Best Buy, and had forgotten to print out a special Silver RewardZone offer for a free $10 gift card with $75 purchase. Turns out I was going to spend enough, so I went to customer service to see if they had a way to print coupons in store.

Well, the Customer Kiosk lets you print reward certificates but not other Best Buy coupons. :(

A woman behind the desk did work to find it herself in their system (which wasn't as easy as it should have been) and eventually found and printed it to scan had I not learned what I learned!

On a lark... I used my iPhone to login to my RewardZone account, and browsed to the coupon. I was thinking she could type in the code if I could find it... but then I decided to try something.

I zoomed in on the barcode so it mostly filled my window... and asked her to try scanning the barcode on the iPhone display... and it worked.

That was pretty cool... and I learned I might not ever have to print coupons again as long as I have my iPhone with me!

Anyone else tried that?

2. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I almost did something similar once, but it worked out that I didn't have to. A few months ago I bought a new iPod case at the Apple Store and after taking it home I realized I didn't like it so I went back to the mall to return it. I have my receipts from the Apple Store emailed to me rather than getting a physical copy. (Most places I just decline receipts altogether, I use credit for everything and you don't need a receipt to return items most places when you pay with plastic) When I went to return it they were having computer issues and couldn't refund my Visa right away, the guy asked if I had my receipt and I said I get them emailed to me, I brought it up on my iPhone and enlarged the bar code and just as he was about to scan it, the initial refund transaction went through.

3. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
  4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I was going to search to see if there was an app... Meanwhile, I figured I was going to start printing my email coupons to PDFs instead of paper and load those up on the iPhone to take with me for the ones that are barcodes to be scanned at the store.

Should have figured there would already be an app for other ways to do it.

Some coupons like the ones from Best Buy and perhaps Borders might have to be done a semi-manual way rather than via an app... unless maybe those stores develop apps to incorporate their stores' coupons.