1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 5LNB ok with no multiswitch? (need quick answer, please)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by superduty, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superduty

superduty Cool Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I have the 5LNB slimline dish. I was doing some clean up work in my AV closet and noticed that the installer never changed out the multiswitch to the newer
    WB68, rather I still have the old SAM-4803. I put my hand on the 4803 and it is so hot, it is scary. I can keep my hand on it for about 2-3 seconds and that is it.

I have the following receivers: HR20-700, HR10-250, HR10-250, and one non DVR SD receiver.

My question is, can I remove the 4803? I am willing to eliminate one of my HR10-250s and one of the two "receivers" in the other HR10-250, so in essence I will only need 4 coax?

If I do remove the 4803, do I just use a male-male connector to connect the RG6 from the 5LNB to the RG6 going to each receiver?

I want to get rid of the multiswitch until D* can get out here and put in the newer switch. I just don't feel very safe with the temperature of the SAM-4803.

2. Reggie3

Reggie3 DBSTalk Club Member

Feb 20, 2006
    You do not need a multiswitch - you can hook them up directly - you can also swap out the multiswitch yourself. I have an extra that my installer gave me. PM if you want

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Your four coax from the dish are coming from the multi-switch at [in] the dish. Barrels would work fine for you to eliminate the fire potential you seem to have.

4. superduty

superduty Cool Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Thank you very much for the info.

Reggie3, I might PM you if D* gives me any hassle. Thanks.

5. generalpatton78

generalpatton78 Godfather

Dec 17, 2003
    If you don't kill him or something I'd nominate you for nice guy of the month.:D

6. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    superduty, no need for a multiswitch if you are only going to have two dual tuner systems. If you want to continue to have your HR10 connected, then you will need a multiswitch to get the additionaly ports.

The old multiswitch will not properly transmit the Ka band signals that will be needed in a few weeks when the new D10 satellite comes online. You will either need the WB68 or you will need to eliminate the old multiswitch from your configuration.

It's too bad your installer didn't complete the job as required.

7. superduty

superduty Cool Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Actually, one of the reasons I was tidying up the AV closet was because on my HR20-700, the local HDs were no longer coming in...sat 99b and 103a were "not responding" so whatever the need for the WB68 it finally became apparent at my house?

8. Skip Towne

Skip Towne Godfather

Dec 20, 2003
    I'll bet that installer has an extra WB68 as well..............yours.

9. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Another answer: Call DIRECTV. The more issues like this, the more power they have to force the contractors to either do the job right or be removed.

And from your point of view--they will schedule a proper install so you can keep all the receivers you want.

Cheers,
    Tom

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Agreed. I would call DirecTV and tell them that your installer didn't do it right and didn't replace the multiswitch. Did he install the B-Band converters on the HR20 for you? If not then that's another thing he didn't do right.

11. Chip Moody

Chip Moody Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    I'm guessing that if I had an acceptable multiswitch (folks here say I don't, D* says I do, I trust the folks here more) I'd be seeing 103b TP signal levels on more than TPs 10,12,14 and 22 at this point?

Since I only have an H20 and three SD IRD's, I'm assuming I can just use barrels to bypass my existing switch entirely based on the posts in this thread? (A temporary fix until D* wakes up, admits I need a different switch, and has the time to bring a new one out)

If I can figure out a way of just picking one up from my local D* installer, I'll put the freakin' thing in myself. Still wish they did it the day they brought the new dish and H20...

- Chip

12. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    With only 4 tuners in use you do not need a multi-switch, I would remove it.

13. Chip Moody

Chip Moody Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    Thanks... I'll bring home some barrels tomorrow and bypass the thing. I want to watch my 103b signal levels like everyone else!!! :grin:

- Chip

14. Juppers

Juppers Icon

Oct 26, 2006
    Refer DirecTV to this http://www.zcwc.com/tech_support/index_faq.shtml#SAM_4803_Q9

Q9:
    Can I use SAM-4803 for AT9 dish (kaku 5 LNB dish)?

A:
    No, you can not because SAM-4803 is a narrowband produce. You can only use either WB68 or WB616 wideband multiswitch because AT9 is a KaKu wideband application.

15. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Most installers don't realize that narrowband produce like carrots and cucumbers will not cut it anymore. They need to upgrade to wideband produce like green peppers and tomatoes.

16. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    That is EXACTLY what I was thinking:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

17. fullcourt81

fullcourt81 Legend

Sep 8, 2005
    Hammer DirecTV for the correct multiswitch.
    It uses power from the lines, it does not have it's own wall wort for power.
    If you can't get one from them, Solidsignal.com has them for not too much money.
    You are going to need it eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.